Stock engine mount question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex5

I just bought a standard HPI engine mount from the 'bay. Bolted my mill in and placed it on the engine plate, when I noticed that there was a tiny amount of play/rock in it i.e. it was not perfectly flat on the base.

Emailed the seller who sent me another, same thing. These are both new and sealed in their baggie, taken from X SS kits.

So is this how they are? Since they are cast I guess they aren't perfect but do you guys reckon this is fine or something to worry about/not use?
It concerns me it won't sit perfectly square, but it may just pull straight bolted down.

These mounts are only a tiny fraction off completely flat... just need someone to put my mind at rest so I can bolt her in and get going.

Cheers!

I would check your engine plate to make sure it is not split or damaged and also make sure there is nothing (ie stones or dirt) that is preventing the engine mount sitting flat to the engine plate. Also make sure the bolts that hold the engine mount are in good condition and no thread missing from them..:eek:)

Check you engine plate and make sure it is not bent. Like you stated, these plates are molded and may not be perfectly flat on the bottom. If you engine plate is not bent, then take a piece of sandpaper and place on a known flat level surface, and sand the bottom of the motor mount. I used a figure eight motion to ensure the bottom is sanded evenly. It will not take much to level out the bottom of the mount. Hope this helps you out.

The thing is, everything is new on this truck, I'm currently building it.

The engine plate is an IRC one, and it's straight :) I checked the mounts on the flat table at work, against my straight edge etc. They don't appear to have been damaged, I just wonder if they weren't cooled properly or something when they came out of the cast.
It's a tad annoying as I seem to be hitting lots of little snags finishing up my build, I'm starting to pull hair! I just can't imagine this is right. Wondering if I should try and sand one down carefully.

-EDIT-

Cheers AllanQ I was just thinking that and posting slowly!

All sorted now, fixed the pair of them, so now I have a spare. Win-win!

Thanks for the quick help once again, I really appreciate it.

Check you engine plate and make sure it is not bent. Like you stated, these plates are molded and may not be perfectly flat on the bottom. If you engine plate is not bent, then take a piece of sandpaper and place on a known flat level surface, and sand the bottom of the motor mount. I used a figure eight motion to ensure the bottom is sanded evenly. It will not take much to level out the bottom of the mount. Hope this helps you out.

Allan A+++ on this! I did that to all of mine (Xss x2) top too where the mill seats. And you told me you were slow lol. 100% for you on this! :lmao:

I've had to do this on a couple mounts myself. But its definitely something that must be addressed or you can say good bye to the mesh of the spur and CB.

Members online

No members online now.
Back