Steering servo upgade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Walters

I upgrade my steering servo to a Savox sw-1210sg. The torque is 277. The speed is 0.15sec and boy does that thing turn. Now a new problem has came up. When i turn it a couple of times both steering and throttle stop working. Both servo batteries are fully charged. They are the stock batteries. Do I have to get some voltage regulater and if so is there one that plugs into the bec. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Mark, that servo is pulling a lot of voltage and browning out the receiver voltage, most guys use a glitch buster to help stop that from happening.... you can also use a regulator to stop it.... I believe Castle makes a decent one that will work...

People are confused here. That servo is rated for 4.8 or 6v, just as any other servo that is made for this size RC. Only if your bec is failing would you have too much voltage going to the servo. However, it is possible that the servo is drawing to much current from the bec/ esc:

A glitch buster is simply an electrolytic cap. It just stops noise in the line by stopping ac ripple. So unless you have interference being caused by your new servo, I have a hard time believing this will help.

Looking at the servo that is in the octane, the sf50. It seems that servo is analog. Your savox is digital. Perhaps you have an incompatibility? Does the octane receiver accept digital servos?

The receiver does not say any thing about analog or digital on it. All it says on it is 2.4 ghz Can i be getting some kind of interference from something.

I am not positive on the receiver being analog or not, but I know that some use the glitch buster electrolytic capacitor and use it as a voltage storage device , not sure on the electronics how it works but what I have read that's what people do when using a high power servo.... I am surely not an electrical engineer by any means and all, just what I read on forums and in magazines.....

as for the 2.4 system I have been led to believe they are almost impervious to frequency or other interferences.... but I am sure there is something wrong if your stuff is not working right for sure...

are you absolutely sure everything is plugged in correctly and all connections are tight??

I will double check again tomorrow. I also googled the Savox servo that i bought and it came up on Ebay with a capacitor. I also found some stuff on youtube where Savox recomends using one with there servos I'm going to the LHS tommorrow and see if thre have one. I'm am with you on the electronics stuff Jam I'm lost when it comes to it

Both servo batteries are fully charged. They are the stock batteries.
I will be interested in reading the results. I am not sure about today's 'digital servos, but years ago they took the same input as analog servos (this is from the aircraft world). My son-in-law elected for the Octane and he's had a lot of problems with his servos. He is using the stock radio equipment (which I believe is indeed analog). He went through a number of things; new spark plug, moving his CDI to the back of the truck, getting a new CDI, and eventually got new servos (they were hitec HV servos as well)....and ended up having similar issues. It turned out to be his batteries that were the problem. They both went out together (unsure why). Have you tried the stock servos again just to see if the batteries are god?

Will I put a glitch buster in the octane and it helped for a little bit. Got through 3/4 of a tank before it started acting up. I'm going to charge the batteries up and change the batteries in the transmitter tomorrow and see what happens.

Well after a few busy weeks i finally got to work on the Octane and the servo glitching that i got when i put the new steering servo in and the glitch buster. And have the same problem with it. I looked around and found a battery from my sons losi that had the same connector as my Octane. Also with a higher MAH rate and the problem is gone. So i tested the stock batteries and found out one of them is bad.So i will be going to the local hobby store for new batteries.

Latest posts

Members online

Back