Steering Mod Rocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug C

I have just finished the steering mods described in numerous threads, and I have got to say how awesome this $4.00 modification really is.I run the Futaba 3PM, and with the stock steering,my steering EPA was set at 60 both directions so as not to bind the servo.Well after this mod was done ,I am now set at 120 with no binding. That's incredible.While I was at it I got 4 bearings from SMF Store for$4.00 ,and replaced the stock bushings. Holy crap!!! The response was so inredible I had to adjust the dual rates to keep the truck under control. I can't stress enough how awesome this mod is. I swear it was like driving a completely diffrent truck. I would really like to thank everyone whose input talked me through the entire process. I would also like to say that HPISF is the most valuable tool in my entire Hobby Shop.Thanx again all!! Doug C.:10:

I agree that the steering mod and bearings do a great job. Anyone who has yet to do this should do it all it takes is a dremmel and some time . Well that and 4 bucks for the bearings

In my signature, Check it out.

Edit:
What who and how did the post above me get removed. Someone whoever it was asked for a link to the mod to get a tighter turn radious but it wasn't either of these 2 guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal, it is funny how 4 dollars can make such a difference. Soon as I go 2.4ghz with my radio gear "to allow me to adjust my servo to 120* throw" , I'm going to try Larsens trick with the steering bulkheads :rock:

Good deal, it is funny how 4 dollars can make such a difference. Soon as I go 2.4ghz with my radio gear "to allow me to adjust my servo to 120* throw" , I'm going to try Larsens trick with the steering bulkheads :rock:

You can use a longer servo horn which will give you a further throw to but you will loose some of you torque due to the length of the arm.

By using the kyosho or similar steering rods you can get even more steering. The ends are shaped like hockey sticks instead of straight which allows it to travel farther before hittind the a-arm.

After reading about the steering bearing mod for the last few months here, I finally decided to do it. And it is amazing!! Its funny that something that simple can make such a huge difference. So thanks for the great idea!

what bearing do i need for this mod??? and i have the stock radio that came with my rtr savy x 4.6 is that good enough or do i have to upgrade my radio and electronics??????

You will need 4 bearings to replace the stock bushings.
The size is 10 x 6 x 3mm
Cheapest place around

Stock electronics are fine. I only recently upgraded mine.

Here's what I installed to make the turning radius a little tighter. It's been talked about before, but there were no details given.

I haven't trimmed my plastic pieces yet, but I did install the aluminum servo horn in a longer length.

Hangar 9 #HAN3578. It was $11, but all the LHS had so I went with it. I have an Airtronics servo so it had the correct number of teeth (23t).

The extra throw allowed me to get to the *locks* without opening the servo saver and with EPA in the 50's (less than half available adjustment).

DSCF4819.jpg

Where is this mod posted? I can not find it anywhere???? Is this more than putting in bearings in the steering arms? Also what is a dremel tool needed for?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same questions Byron has. Is there a complete mod thread from start to end? Or should we just start reading through the forum?

Members online

No members online now.
Back