Steering issue for Savage x4.6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you have to hold a wheel so its a struggle for it to turn it, just like how it is when its on the ground. Otherwise you wont be able to see what the issue is
Ok well just did it and it did the same thing. Held the wheel down hard and turned the dial and the servo responded. Idk if it’s the battery because the battery seems new.

I have to ask before we get too far into this, Do you have any mechanical experience at all??
if not the learning curve is pretty steep but with a bit of time and the right tools and a desire to fix this rig yourself it will get easier as you go along... are there any local hobby shops around your area? they can be a valuable resource and you can hook up with other hobbists that may be willing to help you with advice and knowledge...
like I said earlier nothing on this is really difficult and the savage is actually one of the easiest rigs to work on out there, one thing I would suggest is a good cleaning of the rig so you can see what you are doing when working on it, I couple old 1" paintbrushes and an old toothbrush can make short work of basic cleaning an air compressor can also help blow away some of the grime, for deep cleaning get some denatured alcohol and a spray bottle and it will help remove stuck on grime like fuel residues and just plain grime from running....

AND obviously (or maybe not so obviously) don't spray water on the truck lol

Ok well just did it and it did the same thing. Held the wheel down hard and turned the dial and the servo responded. Idk if it’s the battery because the battery seems new.

If you can hear the servo moving through its whole range of motion and the wheels arent turning, I would say yes it is the servo horn

I have to ask before we get too far into this, Do you have any mechanical experience at all??
if not the learning curve is pretty steep but with a bit of time and the right tools and a desire to fix this rig yourself it will get easier as you go along... are there any local hobby shops around your area? they can be a valuable resource and you can hook up with other hobbists that may be willing to help you with advice and knowledge...
like I said earlier nothing on this is really difficult and the savage is actually one of the easiest rigs to work on out there, one thing I would suggest is a good cleaning of the rig so you can see what you are doing when working on it, I couple old 1" paintbrushes and an old toothbrush can make short work of basic cleaning an air compressor can also help blow away some of the grime, for deep cleaning get some denatured alcohol and a spray bottle and it will help remove stuck on grime like fuel residues and just plain grime from running....
Yes I’ve had lots of experience I’m always working on yard tools and every other equipment. I do have hobby shops near me they are about 30 minutes away. Like I said this is my first nitro car and never have done anything like these. I have electric cars and they are pretty easy to work with. I’m trying to learn as I go with this nitro truck with you all. If I had a paper manual it would be easier for me to see what I’m doing but yeah I’m struggling lol

Yes I’ve had lots of experience I’m always working on yard tools and every other equipment. I do have hobby shops near me they are about 30 minutes away. Like I said this is my first nitro car and never have done anything like these. I have electric cars and they are pretty easy to work with. I’m trying to learn as I go with this nitro truck with you all. If I had a paper manual it would be easier for me to see what I’m doing but yeah I’m struggling lol

Its worth it man. Electric cars cannot compare to nitro. They're the full experience good and bad lol

Well they are not alot different than electrics, mainly just the added nitro engine, tank, fuelines and clutch that electrics don't have, you can get these manuals printed so you have a hard copy by most copy shops just download them to a flash drive and take it to one..... main thing is take pictures of assemblies and parts as you go so you don't forget how they go.....

Hey guys look at this video. Looks like something is loose here.

yes the steering post attached to the lower front skid plate appears loose, tighten it up, screws loosen all the time unless you use blue locktite to keep them secure......

yes the steering post attached to the lower front skid plate appears loose, tighten it up, screws loosen all the time unless you use blue locktite to keep them secure......
Ok thanks, but which screws would I tighten. I’ve taken the bumper off now I’m at this plate here but these two screws won’t come out they turn but won’t come out

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 3
Update I’ve got one screw out the other one still working on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.9 KB · Views: 3
I have taken apart the truck and have screwed real tight on the posts and I have also screwed in tight these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 3
You're on the right track man. Just keep fiddling with it. don't be afraid to take the truck apart, its a lot easier than it seems to put it back together, and it can make it much easier to diagnose problems when something is messed up

You're on the right track man. Just keep fiddling with it. don't be afraid to take the truck apart, its a lot easier than it seems to put it back together, and it can make it much easier to diagnose problems when something is messed up
Thanks. I found out it’s not the post but I may have to look into it tomorrow sometime to see about the steering linkages. Overall the truck still turns I just want it to turn better. It just doesn’t turn while it’s sitting

Thanks. I found out it’s not the post but I may have to look into it tomorrow sometime to see about the steering linkages. Overall the truck still turns I just want it to turn better. It just doesn’t turn while it’s sitting

Could be one of the bushing that support the steering rack, there should be 1 on top and 1 on bottom of each crank

Also I never did find the spring on the post. There wasn’t a spring at all it was just a solid black post that might of been why the steering is like that. Pretty sure these are stock hopefully this upgrade helps

That is because your steering rack is the early style that is why your servo saver is on the servo, on this new style the saver is built into the rack, see the spring and knurled nut and the split top and bottom halves? that is your servo saver system....

That is because your steering rack is the early style that is why your servo saver is on the servo, on this new style the saver is built into the rack, see the spring and knurled nut and the split top and bottom halves? that is your servo saver system....
Do you have a diagram so I can see what you’re saying? Will I have to change servos if I upgrade the steering rack?

Do you have a diagram so I can see what you’re saying? Will I have to change servos if I upgrade the steering rack?

Why don't you look at the link to the one upbasher posted above, it is really self explanatory as to what it is and how it works you will see once you get the actual new rack and saver system in your hands if in fact you did already order what was linked by upbasher .... as for changing the servo itself it will work good for now.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back