steering is too stiff after changing bell crank and servo saver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hey yall i have a savage x 4.6 and after my crash last week, i had to change the steering servo saver and the bell crank. i got it all done today and i made sure to set the bell crank to what my original one was already at, it seems to be at about 4mm however after putting it back together, the steering seems harder to move. i figured out that the plastic thing that sits next to the metal bell crank has two screws, one coming from under the truck and one coming from the battery box, if i loosen those up a tiny bit, then the steering becomes easier to move. however if i snug them up, then the steering is difficult to move. i just don't want the screws to completely come out during bashing or something, i tried different types of tighteness on both screws and it only seems to want to steer easily when its a tad bit loose. is there something else that i need to be looking at? i don't think my servo is the problem cuz i can feel the difference with my hands by manually steering.

in this pic I'm referring to 85058

thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 3.32.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 3.32.41 AM.png
    468.1 KB · Views: 7
I am assuming the Z282 screws? this is normal leave them a little loose, don't super tighten them and you'll be ok.

I am assuming the Z282 screws? this is normal leave them a little loose, don't super tighten them and you'll be ok.
sorry the z282 screws i have them tight however when i had the linkage in my fingers it moved easily. the screws that are finicky is 1 that comes from under the truck and screws into 85058 (3) and then the screw that comes from the top from the battery box that screws into the same 85058 (3)

The problem you have is that the plastic spacer in the steering post is not smooth when you overtighten it. If you replace the plastic spacers with bearings you can get them tight and it moves smoothly.
You need 4 x 6x10x3 bearings.

The problem you have is that the plastic spacer in the steering post is not smooth when you overtighten it. If you replace the plastic spacers with bearings you can get them tight and it moves smoothly.
You need 4 x 6x10x3 bearings.
ahh gotcha that makes sense! do u know how hpi got it to work? because i had the exact same parts installed before. i guess maybe i have to use the plastic spacers they used since there probably slightly smoother etc

You just tighten it snug so it moves smoothly. don't forget to locktite the screws and your done.
oh yes i mean how can i get those plastic spacers to spin nicely? i tried fiddling with it just a little bit ago, and even when i have them looser, it still feels like the steering is tight and stiff. i gave it some electricity and seems like my servo cant move the wheels on the ground like how it used to. i rememeber before i fixed it, it would effortlessly move around on the ground with my sf-50 servo, now it seems kinda restricted

sf-50 is not the best steering servo, just like Jabbo said upgrade the bearings and might as well get a better servo too.

ahh yeah sounds like a plan thanks! gonna see if i can find those at a LHS. ill for sure upggrade the servo, i noticed 12kg isnt enough.

so temporarily can i just set those screws at loose like not snug and loctite them? cuz then once i get the proper bearings ill tighten and loctite again

Members online

Back