steel or plastic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageboi

hey all. just a quick question. just wonted to know what the majority of you run? a plastic or steel spur? i have had trouble with stripped tranny gears and was wondering if i used a plastic spur would it protect my tranny by becoming a weak point?

hope this makes sense.
thanks for any help

Brad

wondering if i used a plastic spur would it protect my tranny by becoming a weak point?

hi Brad, probably not. ive seen bankrupter grenade tranny gears while keeping the plastic spur in tact.

the steel spur/racing clutchbell is a great upgrade; ive seen it survive cracked motor plates and other situations where a plastic spur would fail.

HPI thought ahead of us and designed the slipper clutch as the only weak point you will need (when adjusted to do its job).

there are upgraded machined gears available for the trans; i just got them at tcs crawlers.

i myself have ran the same plastic spur for almost a year and a half so meshed right they last a long time!!

if you know how to set your mesh....you need NO steel spur!!

think about it!
(if) the spur gear goes, your saving the internal gears of the trans. Same as the slipper clutch...if its set right will save all the gears incl the spur.

its all in your mesh!

i can mesh a steel or plastic the same, both i have no issues with, for high power applications i prefer steel. my buddies stock trucks i run plastics for them.

running a ported/polished, knife edged wasp26 for years with a plastic spur, stock 3spd trans with not a single issue.
not the highest power motor but its got enuff to stand this heavy truck of mine on 1 wheel.

thanks for all the input guys. think il just stay with the steel then and just take things from there then. thanks again.
:pnclsmilie:

I'm sure plastic could handle the power swamp, but some just prefer steel. I'm sure either could work fine in either application tho

i wont disagree nor argue that fact 88gtanothcback, i just don't want everyone rushing to buy an unecassary steel expensive gear for this application.

I have a question on the installation of the spur gear. Am I supposed to tighten it down all the way or am I supposed to back it off little to allow some slippage?

Thanks,
ulua

you tighten it right down then back it off a 1/2 turn,atleast thats what hpi says. Some of us just run it tightened right down as well but can be risky running it like that!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back