Starting the engine in cold weather...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttuzun

Hi everyone;

its pretty cold where i live, even at this time of the year and i have problems starting the engine...

What can i do to make it start easier, should i change the glow plug?

thank you

use a hairdryer to pre-heat your engine.
if it`s not broken-in yet you may have difficulties starting your engine anyway because it`s running too rich.
if your engine is tight you can crack the glowplug.
I had troubles starting my little cousins sav( 21 BB engine) before break-in but when I cracked the plug it fired up almost right away.
hope this helps!

pre heating the engine with a hiar dryer or heat gun is the best way to start a cold engine. if you don't pre heat it you will cause a lot of pre mature wear on the piston and sleave

pre heating the engine with a hiar dryer or heat gun is the best way to start a cold engine. if you don't pre heat it you will cause a lot of pre mature wear on the piston and sleave

use some after-run oil before starting, this will prevent premature wear on the sleeve & piston.
just a single drop in the glowplug`s hole.

it helps for the initial dry revs but the sleeve will still be cold thus it will be smaller then it should be, so more wear untill it reaches opperating tmp and proper clearences. preheat ur engines

if I was running it in below 0 temps I would definately preheat with a hairdryer but I`m running my sav mostly in nice warm weather so I never preheat my engine.
I also haven`t got a wireless hairdryer.
I got my sav for 7 or 8 months now and my engine took 4 months of abuse with tornado 25% and it`s still running great. ( my sav has been broken for 3 months because of a brake hub which the LHS couldn`t deliver )

i use the heater in my car today
i put my savage under the dashboard and opened the heater...
it did work actually.. but this time my battery power in the roto start vanished quickly.. i guess it wasnt full

i hate having battery problems

I always carry a cordless drill with me, just incase the batteries die on my roto start.

Wow i have tried to start my sav with drils cause my battery in my roto start was dead but they don''t seem to be fast enough. Any way i live in canada and it's getting near winter now and i use a heat gun to warm up the engine.

get a drill with a 3 speed trany in it, it goes just fast enought to kick it over but still not as fast at the roto, and I know how you feel with winter coming, I am up in the north east of the states. But I think you guys get more snow and probley a lot colder then we do .

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys..
its out of the topic
but i have a problem with my spur gear..

this is the second time its happening.. and this one is worse

my spur gear keeps stripping totally smooth first time it was a part of it but now its the whole gear.. there is no teeth left on the gear

i have added 2 picture of how the gear stripped (the quality is really low.. i don't know why my camera couldnt focus to closer object...)

any answer would be great
thx a lot

after you check your mesh and reset everything if you are still doing it check the engine plate, I have seen it bent before, and it will keep causing a striped spur.

that helps a lot thx

but i have more questions
1st
how do i fix the gear mesh just make the cluth and the gear tighter so that they wont move that more?

2nd
for the spur gear they say go all the way then 1/4 or 1/2 turn..

there is a really hard spring there how would i understand if i went all the way?

Latest posts

Members online

Back