Starter shaft F5.9 swap into older 5.9 engine, anyone done it yet!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlazerWray

Having a hell of a time finding starter shaft #15234 for my older 5.9, discontinued part on hpi website and after reading form on this site found out its been a problem for a long time. I dug around on the new F5.9 engine and it shows a similar set up to an old 4.6 I used to run. My question is has anyone tried the conversion yet? It seems very possible to me it would work would if the sizing is the same, just have to buy all the parts I'm guessing. Got a pictures of the of owners manual, part numbers; #1433, #1432, #117263, #1072829 and might not need but also #120277.

Figured I'd see if anyone has successfully done it yet before I spend the money. Thanks in advance.1000003445.jpg

Scheiße!!! I have a K5.9 axle which you could have but the cost of getting a parcel shipped from Europe to Canada is utterly ridiculous.

Have you considered using a standard axle? Many nitro engines with smaller displacements have the standard pull/roto start axle which resembles a bolt. The Picco 28 came with one too. On top of the hex section of a standard axle is a small hole (usually 4mm wide and 3mm deep) where a small spring will sit. The purpose of this spring is to push the axle towards the backplate and by extension ensure ithe axle always stays engaged with the OWB inside the engine...

If you manage to obtain a used standard roto/pull start axle, you can easily increase the diameter of the hole a little so that it can accept an alloy standoff. The standoff will make sure the axle does not travel too far away from the backplate. Or you can just place a small spring inside the axle cavity and assemble the roto/pull start housing. Third option is to add a hollow standoff with small spring inside... 😅 See the enclosed photos.

Good luck!

20230930_172923.jpg

20230930_174247.jpg

20230930_181506.jpg

20230930_181453.jpg

20230930_190056.jpg

20230930_190610.jpg

Scheiße!!! I have a K5.9 axle which you could have but the cost of getting a parcel shipped from Europe to Canada is utterly ridiculous.

Have you considered using a standard axle? Many nitro engines with smaller displacements have the standard pull/roto start axle which resembles a bolt. The Picco 28 came with one too. On top of the hex section of a standard axle is a small hole (usually 4mm wide and 3mm deep) where a small spring will sit. The purpose of this spring is to push the axle towards the backplate and by extension ensure ithe axle always stays engaged with the OWB inside the engine...

If you manage to obtain a used standard roto/pull start axle, you can easily increase the diameter of the hole a little so that it can accept an alloy standoff. The standoff will make sure the axle does not travel too far away from the backplate. Or you can just place a small spring inside the axle cavity and assemble the roto/pull start housing. Third option is to add a hollow standoff with small spring inside... 😅 See the enclosed photos.

Good luck!

Is starter shaft #15234 still avaliable in Europe? As I said before it's discontinued or at least, is in Canada. Did you make it by chance? I brought myn over to my local mechine shop, hoping they could make one for me. They said it's a hardened shaft that was ground and polished, wouldn't be able to make one properly, and didn't really want to take it on. Fair enough.

My thoughts on doing the F5.9 starter shaft swap were that there will be more part availability. Any HPI distributor should be able to get the parts no problem. I just don't know if it will work, but I also don't see why it wouldn't. They would be genuine HPI parts, completely bolt on, no mods one would think.

Swapping out or cleaning the one way bearing on that style is so much easier as well, almost worth it just for that reason, in my opinion.

I bought a BIG RED and installed it in the meantime, put this on the back burner, and consider all options. Appreciate the input. That's definitely another option I never thought about. Would be a cheap/easy fix for sure!

Blazer, I am not sure if it is available in Europe. I have one lying around. It used to be inside a K5.9 which experienced a catastrophic crack in the crankcase during break-in. What I was trying to say was that I am willing to send it to you free of cost but you would have to pay for the shipping.

Yes the axle is hardened polished steel. A CNC shop will most likely charge you the cost of a brand new engine for making a single copy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back