SS4.6 Build, Brake issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n9ke

Hey all,

Building my first savage, and the ss kit has SS brake disks. My issue is that the two anchor screws for the brake assembly are not seated completely into the posts, because if I seat them the brakes are tight and lock up the transmission. I have the shims in place, and all pads and disks are as per the instruction manual. Looking for ideas, Thanks in Advance
Kevin

I always set the screws tight, but still allowing the tranny to spin when I was using SS brakes. I converted over to the red dual fiber brakes now though.

Thanks clemet for the quick reply. My issue is I cannot tighten the screws and still get any play in the brake system. Thanks again

tighten them all the way, and back them out just enough to let the trans spin, it wont hurt to give a drop of blue locktite either, you will always have play in your pads even with the thicker fiber pads. don't over tighten them you may strip the threads in your case

Thanks f1n3sse, I will give that a shot

Recommend you DO NOT put locktite on these screws because the tranny housing is plastic and the loctite will eat up the plastic. Use super glue instead, works like a champ.

Recommend you DO NOT put locktite on these screws because the tranny housing is plastic and the loctite will eat up the plastic. Use super glue instead, works like a champ.
+1 about the loctite no no on plastic. but take out the shims you don't need all 4. then the screws will seat down with the play you need.

thanks again guys, and shim removal may well be a solution. no threadlock on plastic. ok..got it

I had the same problem with mine I did what f1n3sse said works great, but when I am in need of new ones again I'm going red dual fiber brakes.

i recently built my x ss kit and thought the brakes were tight also, just did it exact to manual and brakes freed off no problem

Latest posts

Members online

Back