spur gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flewbyu

hey i just stripped my spur gear just wondering should i go with the steel spur gear or stick with stock.guess i should check the mesh next time.thanks for the help.:redmad:

I would stay with the stock plastic myself, just got to make sure your mesh is set good.

Me personally i like sticking with the stock plastic too. Its cheaper than a clutch bell or gears inside the tranny. I try to make breaking points on the truck so if something is gonna break or strip, its something cheap!

ive heard some good things about the steel combo. guy was running it for a year and it was fine. no other probs or stripped parts either.

also know other people still using there stock gears years later.

depends on mesh i suppose

Yep all depends on mesh and if ur screws fll out or not! I strip a gear right now maybe every tank.........lol......screws fall out

I probaly have like 3/4 gallon on the same plastic spur gear get that mesh right thats the key Hey Parker what screws keep falling out ???

Last edited by a moderator:
got a steel gear

i got the robinson racing steel 48T spur gear. was quite inexpensive compred to the HPI offerings. It is a heavy rotational mass thogh but i haven't had a hint of problems with anything else now for months. was stripping spur gears sometimes hourly! and i was setting mesh with the paper trick and stuff but wasnt working.. lol

It is a savvy X and i think everyone knows that the tranny flexes at high speed and can move the mesh. also, the engine mount plate was slightly ought of shape, i replaced that with 2 plates spot welded together and cut to fit for double plate and prevent flex there during bashing.

i never wanted to go to metal spur, but after 15 plastic ones.. a metal one has paid for itself

Adam

i never wanted to go to metal spur, but after 15 plastic ones.. a metal one has paid for itself

Adam

Wow 15 plastic ones--I am on my 2nd plastic spur after a little more than 4 gallons of fuel, but I have the old stlye tranny case and TT tvp's.

thanks i just ordered the plastic ones.but if it keeps striping i may go with the steel. thanks again :)

ive got a hpi steel spur gear. its runs fine and no stripping at all the teeth have still got the black enamle paint on them!ive stripped like 5 plastic spur gears.
4x4

I bought this Savage with a metal spur but I will swap it for a plastic, easy/cheap weak point.

Like others have said mesh is key, there should be a very slight gap between the spur and the bell. Put a piece of paper between the the two and push them together...Don't force them you don't want the gears to tear the paper. Also make sure your bell is square with the spur, on a Savage you can have good mesh with the engine slightly cocked and it will eat spur gears. When all is said and done you should be able to hold the bell (the tip of a screwdriver works for me) and slightly rock the spur with no bell movement.

Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Back