spur gear replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooter4478

i have a savy 4.6 rtr and i have chewed up the spur gear. what is the easiest way to replace it and make sure it is in the correct place. do i have to pull the motor or the trans to replace the spur gear? thanks for your help.

To replace the spur gear you will have to take the motor out of the truck. Start by taking the rod off of the carb and then you can either take the motor off the motor mount or take the mount off also. If you take the mount off you will have to remesh your cb/spur gear or if you take the motor off the mount the mount won't move but when you place it back in you will still need to check your mesh since it stripped. Personally I take the motor off the the mount and change it then remesh it once the motor is back in just to make sure everything is ok.

Hopefully you understand all of that, if not let me know and I will explain it better.

if the tranny is the same as the savage x rtr "4.1" then you take off the roll bar then theres 3 screws on the top of the trans that you take out once done the top of the trans lifts right out and then you just swap the spur!! hopes this helps!!!

i was writing the same thing as dread but didnt type fast enough i guess lol!!!! oh well good advice dreadnaught lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys just made me feel stupid.....

I never thought of that but I will still probably just take the motor our since thats how I have done it for the past 4 years

thats the way i do it too 25, just trying to make it easier.

i did that on my maxx, mgt4.6, and my savvy. i tried to do it the way the manual said, but the trans is nice and wedged in there.

I have the ez access tranny and I still remove the motor ..

Always have always will.. You just wanna make sure your mesh is right .. probably the reason why it stripped in the first place.. And you can't adjust mesh w/o at least loosening up the motor mounts

I'm with Jester here too-because motor needs to be out of the way to get spur off trans when trans is still in truck and it needs to be re meshed like he said. Plus you can service clutch and/or clutch bell if needed also at the time and check for other reasons why spur stripped like a crack in motor plate or mount. It also allows for fresh loc-tight on the motor bolts.

yes but if it's a simple swap out of the spur gear only can't i just remove the rollcage and tranny. then replace gear and reinstall?

Latest posts

Members online

Back