So this happen today...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nail

While running my truck today my wheels came off three times...three different wheels. I think I might be tighten the Knut on the wheels too tight because all three sheered right off. Here is a pic of the knuts. Tip of knife points to the area I'm talking about. The pic of the truck shows the wheels and tires I'm running.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 24
:whoo: never seen the flanged part broken off before, have you been checking them before every run because if they do loosen up I can see how that would happen.... looks like it is time for a new set of wheel nuts now tho...

Yea I check before every run. I just thought it was weird. I haven't locked tight them so maybe I should do that. When I took the knut off that was attached to the truck it was on there tight. All three times?!?!

Wow, that's new! Something has to be off in your installation. I can't believe you would have three defective parts fail uniformly and sequentially like that. I wouldn't assume over tightness, but it's possible. I lock mine down good every run and have yet to have any issues.

You using HPI cast wheel hex's with those? I run those large flange nuts for 17mm wheels on my savage and both revos and never had one do that.

Yep HPI cast wheel hex with them. Well I had three do that. BUT I really think I WAY over tighten them like I do everything else. I found the third one on the road later today and it hadn't completely shredded all the way off. I'll try and post a pic tomorrow. When I say over tighten them I mean I think I am bending the flange of the knut which will compromise the integrity of the metal especially at high speeds like i was going today. Learning lesson, lighten up on the Gorilla hands!

Over tightening is a problem known to me...
I use an electric screwdriver now to tighten everything on my trucks.
This way I don't over tighten anything anymore.

Good luck,
A fellow gorilla.. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Back