So I broke my steering servo...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SleepWarz

Its pretty cold out and the other day I lost my steering and it went limp. Its just a stock servo in my new Savage X 4.6 RTR. Disassembly of the servo proved positive as I found the problem. The central gear had almost lost all its teeth on the middle rung. I chalk this up to the cold weather and a bit of rough bashing.
Now I can either look for a new gear, I don't know if they exist.
Or I can buy a new, stronger better servo. But since I'm new to this I don't really know whats good for me.

Suggestions would rock guys, thanks.

Go for a metal gear high torque servo. It will improve the steering and hold up better.
I'm using towerpro servos. I got them off ebay pretty cheap and they have the same specs as much more expensive servos. So far no problems at all. I'm using 4 of them and they are working out great.
Hope this helps.

Cheap, effective, and better-than-stock is the Hitec 645MG servo. 133 in/oz torque and metal gears for under $33. More torque is better, but more costs more money.

Fixing the stock servo will work, but you'll still have plastic gears and less-than-ideal power.

That said, I've got a stock Savage X RTR steering servo, brand-new, I'll sell if you're interested. $20 shipped to the U.S.

If you want a decent cheap metal geared servo get the Hitec 645MG or if you want a getter servo go Hitech 5645 which is digital and has a touch more torque and gives full torque right away and will hold better.

I'm probably gonna pick up the 5645 soon here.
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys!

Thats a great choice as it's got more power than the annalog 645 and has full power all the way threw its stroke where analogs have to move some before they gain there torque, Also like I said they will hold better and are much more accurate.

I will never go back to annalog, you will see why.

Good question can you use the stock radio with the digital servos? Or do you have to have the digital reciever, etc.?

Yup thats not a problem. It will be just fine and still do all I descriped above. The only added bonus with a digital remote is it will be that much more accurate as they talk back and forth more like 4 times more.

Good to know. That then will be on my upgrade when I have the money list.

I fried the same center gear on the SF-2 Servo. I was running some laps around my yard when i started to notice it wasnt wanting to steer to the left. So I limped it in and then the right steering went out, so I checked it with the wheels off the ground, and it wouldnt turn to the left or right, just made a clunk noise and servo motor noise. Stripped it down and wallah! The center gear was perfectly rounded where the teeth use to be , and all the gear teeth was everywhere inside. Metal gear servo here i come. :duh:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is EXACTLY what happened to me but at a park, same thing too. Driving in circles and it just gave out.
Its ok now tho I'm a proud new owner of a Hitech 6545

I'm curious as to weather I will need to modify anything and which horn I should use.

i have the DS8611s digital servo from JR and that is a monster servo.... anyways today i was out in the snow and the part that connects to the servo stripped so I'm going to get a new 1

whats that part called does any1 know.... the part that connects to the servo and you screw in a screw to attach it to the servo... are there any aluminum ones for it????????

Its called a servo horn. There are plenty of aluminum after market ones. Check out tower hobbies for an example.

alright thank but I'm not sure which size to get

i have the JR DS8611A servo.... I'm not sure where to buy it from

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got single-sided and double-sided aluminum arms for JR servos at the SMF Store.

rce10311b.jpg

All servo companies use the same spline count for their entire servo product line, as far as I know. I've never heard otherwise. JR is different from Futaba, for example, but all Futabas use the same arm, and all JRs use the same arm, etc.

Members online

Back