small block savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek_2694

i have recently had the idea to make a small block savage. this has been done before by the no limit of virginia guys and it is really popular. theres a guy who will make the motor mount for you for $35.00 i think. being that i recently traded my revo for a savage x that is stock, i started having ideas for it, and this is one of them. i am thinking on going with a o.s. .18 CV-RX mill because this is what i hear most people are using and have heared good feelback on it. have any suggestions on mills, pipes or anything,tell me what you think.

ya definately shed weight everywere you can as even the savage 21's that came out first were underpowered for the weight of a savage...

yea thats what i was thinkin. do you think with that weight difference i could use flux shocks. being that theres only 4 instead of 8

i have recently had the idea to make a small block savage. this has been done before by the no limit of virginia guys and it is really popular. theres a guy who will make the motor mount for you for $35.00 i think. being that i recently traded my revo for a savage x that is stock, i started having ideas for it, and this is one of them. i am thinking on going with a o.s. .18 CV-RX mill because this is what i hear most people are using and have heared good feelback on it. have any suggestions on mills, pipes or anything,tell me what you think.

I'm running a traxxas blue tuned pipe on mine (OS-18 CV-RX) and have had pretty good results. That is the only thing I've done to it and I've been pretty pleased with the results. Joey (savageman46) and Carl (clemet) are our resident SB Savage experts. The Savage with the blue body & HPISF sticker in this video is Joey's SB Savy and it's hanging with the big boys.. http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/354/nlrcva-monster-truck-street-drags-7-6-08.html The only thing that's been done to that is the OS18 motor. He hasn't done anything to shed weight. Still running all 8 shocks, etc. Good luck!

I'm running a traxxas blue tuned pipe on mine (OS-18 CV-RX) and have had pretty good results. That is the only thing I've done to it and I've been pretty pleased with the results. Joey (savageman46) and Carl (clemet) are our resident SB Savage experts. The Savage with the blue body & HPISF sticker in this video is Joey's SB Savy and it's hanging with the big boys.. http://www.hobbyzip.com/videos/354/nlrcva-monster-truck-street-drags-7-6-08.html The only thing that's been done to that is the OS18 motor. He hasn't done anything to shed weight. Still running all 8 shocks, etc. Good luck!

thanks I'm going to see what i can do about getting something like that for the pumpkin bash coming up at the digger dungeon

Let me know if I can help you.
I have shed some weight. No handle, and only four shocks. But their stock ones not the BB, and the front bumper. It's not a lot but it helps some.
You'll need;
OS18CVR
Motor mount
Traxxas Blue tuned pipe/header
HPI RS4 flywheel, the one that kicks the flywheel out about 1/4"
HPI extended pilot nut
Homemade pipe hangar-I used coat hangar and bent it to work
52/14 gears

It wont be a wheely monster, but it will race real nice. Mine hangs with the Revos.

Let me know if I can help you.
I have shed some weight. No handle, and only four shocks. But their stock ones not the BB, and the front bumper. It's not a lot but it helps some.
You'll need;
OS18CVR
Motor mount
Traxxas Blue tuned pipe/header
HPI RS4 flywheel, the one that kicks the flywheel out about 1/4"
HPI extended pilot nut
Homemade pipe hangar-I used coat hangar and bent it to work
52/14 gears

It wont be a wheely monster, but it will race real nice. Mine hangs with the Revos.

Thanks. I think will go by what to u said except for the pipe. I might add some suspension goodies like swaybars and change to some smaller wheels. Might also add some faster. And stronger servos too.

i don't understand why you would want to replace a bb with a sb. will some one tell me what is going on here???

Back last year one. Of the no limit of Virginia guys made one and it was really popular.I guess they did it because hpi doesn't have a small block monster truck. We were just trying to figure out a good sbc combination.

Hoped this shed some light on the subject. Derek

i understand but why not just get a bb and avoid the head ache, and wouldent putting a sb in their just reduce your power and top speed?? i would never think of replaceing my mustang Cobras engine with a small block! so I'm just trying to figure out if their is something i don't understand here, not trying to cut on what you are trying to do, or what the no limit guy had done for that matter.

In the No Limit races, we have different categories of trucks, Small Block MT's, big Block MT's etc. Becasue HPI does not make a SB savage, and agree with everyone that there is no reason for them to do it, the only trucks racing in that class were T-Maxx's, so why not give the T-maxx's some competition. In addition to some No Limit members running small blocks, there are HPI staff memebrs who also run small block savages in our No Limit races.

So I guess to answer the question on why, well its just to get the savage to race against other trucks in different classes.

If all things go well, I should have my small block done in the next couple of weeks, just gotta get some of the extra needed parts.

In the No Limit races, we have different categories of trucks, Small Block MT's, big Block MT's etc. Becasue HPI does not make a SB savage, and agree with everyone that there is no reason for them to do it, the only trucks racing in that class were T-Maxx's, so why not give the T-maxx's some competition. In addition to some No Limit members running small blocks, there are HPI staff memebrs who also run small block savages in our No Limit races.

So I guess to answer the question on why, well its just to get the savage to race against other trucks in different classes.

If all things go well, I should have my small block done in the next couple of weeks, just gotta get some of the extra needed parts.

Great! thats what i was looking for makes perfect sence.. so you wouldnt do this to your everyday Savage just one you are wanting to race in a sb race!
it just sounded crazy at firs but now i know. thanks Allan! and good luck with that small block!

ok that makes sense.. thanks for clearing that up for me as well!! lol

thanks for helpin me get across a little better. i cant exactly remember who makes the motor mounts cause the last race i went to was at the digger dungeon back in may i think. what parts do u need for your small block savage?

I am using a motor plate that I cut out myself. For a motor mount I used a RS4 part. The part you are looking for is made by Dan Bright. He used the stock plate with a RS4 flywheel. I am using a BB cluth off the Savage motor that I pulled out. Right now I have a XL with LST2 shocks, and had the OS 18CRV in it with no issues. The other day I put my OS18TZ (turbo) motor in it.

Right now I am putting everything together to start putting one in a roller that AllanQ is supposed to be putting together.

Allan stated the major reasons for going with a small block in a Savage, but the other reason is why stock a bunch of different spare parts. I am trying to get to nothing but Savages.

I am using a motor plate that I cut out myself. For a motor mount I used a RS4 part. The part you are looking for is made by Dan Bright. He used the stock plate with a RS4 flywheel. I am using a BB cluth off the Savage motor that I pulled out. Right now I have a XL with LST2 shocks, and had the OS 18CRV in it with no issues. The other day I put my OS18TZ (turbo) motor in it.

Right now I am putting everything together to start putting one in a roller that AllanQ is supposed to be putting together.

Allan stated the major reasons for going with a small block in a Savage, but the other reason is why stock a bunch of different spare parts. I am trying to get to nothing but Savages.

are you still using the OS 18 CVR for anything?

o do you know anyone who has an 18CVR for sale because i want to run more than just my big block at the pumpkin bash because i traded my dad my revo for the savage x

It might cost a couple bucks but the OS .18 TZ with a TM crank so you could start it would be my choice of the small blocks.

i agree but the CV-R is a little bit cheaper. and i have a question. what is the difference between the OS 18CV-R and the OS 18CV-RX? i would use the tz if i could find it cheap enough. the cheapest i saw the TZ on ebay was $179.99

what parts do u need for your small block savage?

I milled my own motor plate and use a regular SB motor mount and a RS4 flywheel. Everything else is pretty much standard Savage parts. Word of advice.... DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY THE SAVAGE MOTOR PLATE TO ACCOMMODATE THE SB MOTOR!!! It'll weaken it considerably and you won't get more than a few runs out of it. Trust us when we tell you that there was a lot of trial & error to get us where we're at now.

It might cost a couple bucks but the OS .18 TZ with a TM crank so you could start it would be my choice of the small blocks.

I actually used the pullstart model and cut the crank. Just like the CVRs. Then all you need is a clutch nut adapter. The problem was I needed to get a TM carb because the pull start model only came in a rotary.

i agree but the CV-R is a little bit cheaper. and i have a question. what is the difference between the OS 18CV-R and the OS 18CV-RX? i would use the tz if i could find it cheap enough. the cheapest i saw the TZ on ebay was $179.99

That's what I payed.

Latest posts

Members online

Back