Slipper Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altair47

I was wondering how tight to tighten the slipper clutch ? I guess the easiest way to figure it out is how many threads are sticking out after you tighten the clutch. Any info would be great. Thanks.

actually alot here have it tightened right down, gives you instant throttle response downside is if your launching it and land at wide open throttle you will blow your diffs as thats what the slipper does it slips before anything breaks hpi suggests tightening it right up then backing it off a half turn!! hope this helps

Tighten it all the way, don't be scared. Just be careful not to get back on the throttle till the tires have touched down again.

i turn mine back almost 1/8th of a turn from tight if I'm jumping alot, and all the way if I'm just bashin.

I'll run all different settings myself. Depends on the terrain. Rocky terrain demands at least a 1/8th turn loose. On really nice gripping terrain I'll slam it tight then back off just a HAIR.

The more slip, the less power to the wheels. Consider it a constant clutch that you're slipping. The more slippage, the less power to the wheels. This gives the tires the chance to bite where they usually would just spin.

NOW, a fully tightened spur will give INSTANT response, and easy wheelies with a properly tuned mill. However, this stress is transfered right to the differentials. The drive train is light; and tires are the heaviest objects. So, if you're running high throttle and pulling the motor at wide open in a jump. One landing at full throttle will snap something. All of the engines power (somewhere between 2 and 4hp) depending on the mill, will be directly to the driveline. Hence the weakest spot, dogbones and diffs. Usually the dogbones will twist, but the diff will just disintegrate. This is a bad thing. It takes practice, but you CAN run full tightened if you learn how to work that throttle and brake. I've actually seen stripped diffs (well broken teeth) from braking too hard with a landing.

Either way, it's simply up to you, I suggest running an 1/8th turn out until you learn expert throttle control. Then, and only then would I start running tighter. :) Good luck and have fun with it!

Thanks for all the info - looks like I should be rinning about an 1/8 th of a turn out seeing as I'm still fairly new to this. Thanks again.

i am having a bit of trouble with my slipper, it keeps on working itself loose. should i have lock tight or thread lock on it? i fried 2 clutches on the weekend.

Potter, check the nut that holds the slipper on. It should be a NYLOCK nut to prevent it from backing out. I personally have not put threadlock there and have not ever had any problems, but I don't think it will hurt anything if you use a little threadlock.

Thanks Allan, yeah it is a nylock nut, ill put some thread lock on it later and see how i go

Edit: I found my problem, i have dropped part number 87042b a small washer, hhhmmm now where to find one

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Back