Slipper clutch upgrade.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Down

Ok so whilst thrashing my 2019 Savage 4.6 I managed to destroy the slipper clutch. It was a mangle of melted plastic. Soooo I purchased a Robinson American upgrade thingy. This… 18DC2643-6ED0-49BE-8407-80FB220105F4.jpeghope it does the trick!!

Robinson racing has been around for a long time. They make great parts . Is that the dual slipper version?
I don’t think so, it has three parts, the spur a metal disc and the fibrous clutch bit. Oh and a bearing. Looks solidly made. I’ve put it all back together now.

I don’t think so, it has three parts, the spur a metal disc and the fibrous clutch bit. Oh and a bearing. Looks solidly made. I’ve put it all back together now.
Runs a treat. Going to match this slipper clutch with a Robinson Racing hardened clutch bell. And then trash the thing!!

Yes I would definitely get the clutch bell too. If not you possibly run the risk of premature wear the bell and spur not being the same hardness of steel.

Yes I would definitely get the clutch bell too. If not you possibly run the risk of premature wear the bell and spur not being the same hardness of steel.
Yeah exactly. Do I really have to buy these parts from the States tho? Had to pay £12 on import duty on top of the rrp!

Ouch yeah that's pricey. I would suspect the clutch bell would go first. Might as well run it till something goes. Then decide. Watch how tight the mesh is. Here is a great write up from 2006 here on hpisavage forum that credit goes to member jeepguy.

Even with the manual... Here's how I do it. Loosen the 4 motor mount screws just enough so the whole motor and mount are loose enough to move freely. Take a piece of regular old printer paper and cut or tear a small 1/4 to a 1/2 inch strip about 3 or 4 inches long. Place the strip between the spur gear and clutch bell. (some guys like to fold the paper in half, giving a double thickness, I find a single sheet of printer paper works well though) Set the motor so the mesh between the gears is fairly tight with the paper in between, and tighten two screws (generally I do opposite corners) and then rotate the spur gear by hand until the paper comes out. It should show nice creases in it, and when the paper is out, the gears should mesh smoothly and evenly without being too tight or too loose... Make sure to rotate the gears through several revolutions to make sure there are no hang ups, tight spots, etc. If all is well, tighten down the other two screws. If not, loosen up the two screws, and repeat with a new piece of paper until it's right. Should be good to go after that. Also make sure the slipper is tight, otherwise that will waste the spur gear in no time. I'd go with factory specs (which is a quarter turn from completely tight) to a little tighter than that. Looser is generally worse I've found. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Back