Should have listened!!! ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sphinx2984

I should have listened to the guys saying that 3s will cost money lol. I upgraded to a MMP and 3800kv motor and decided I wanted to test out 3s in it once I got it running well. After about 10 standing backflips in fairly rapid succession, the front wheels wouldn't move or steer. Turns out I snapped both front drive shafts and stripped my axles. Not too expensive of parts to fix but it was all stock. Back to 2s I go and am still loving my XS even though my body is almost ripped in half haha. Will post pics and more later in the show off thread.

meh.....live and learn
its only money

Just sold my XS yesterday. i didnt find much fun in such a wee thing and it was too much for the grand-apes

Upgrades will come later, just replaced the stock stuff and am going back to 2S batteries for now. Hopefully I wont break too much that way. I just need to stay away from jumps, and dirt, and gravel, and.....well everything haha.

meh.....live and learn
its only money

Just sold my XS yesterday. i didnt find much fun in such a wee thing and it was too much for the grand-apes

I love that it is small and it is pretty beastly for such a little truck. I have a blast with it. What did you get? 1/8?

I been doing 1/8 since i started hobby.
didnt know much about electric when i bought that and bought it thinking it was the actual flux. i was sure let down when i opened that package...lol.
I have plenty of room at my house. 2 acres, a 20x30 workshop or 2 so it really effects me none to have bigger vehicles. at one time there were 12 savages in my shop(down to my 3 best ones now) and thats that. just sold my last parts roller yesterday

What motor/esc did you go with specifically? Got a link? Trying to keep my eye out for something for my stampede that runs a bit cooler with the gearing I want to pull.

Thanks, I saw that. Was hoping for a link. This brushless stuff is new to me and the subtle variations between motors/esc's is confusing.

Ill get tou a link when i get more time. I'm at work. I know several ppl opt for the sidewinder esc with the 3800kv motor. The sidewinder esc is water resistant and cheaper.

I have prime and that was a decent price compared to others so I used amazon.

Last edited:
Wonder if it's got enough oomph for a stampede. It comes stock with a 3500kv 4 pole in it. Not sure if this would tend to run hot or not.

Thanks for the link!

I would think it would be ok. I'm new myself but if I'm not mistaken, the higher kv the higher top speed, the lower kv, the more punch or torque you get. This motor comes with a fan too, but i don't use it yet. I'm in the middle of replacing my cup joints and acles with hd parts.

I run the crap out of mine for about 30 mins on an 8000mah 40c battery with no fan and it barely gets warm. It should be fine in the pede.

One thing that shitted me is the dog bone designs they constantly popped out wrecking axel cups, once I put in cvd driveshafts was so much better.

There a sick little truck tho

I got the cheaper Castle SCT SV3/3800kv for my 4x4 stampede. It hasn't shut down on me yet, but it does get warm. The traxxas vxl/3500 shut down on me a couple times after I ran for 30 minutes on one pack (7200mah 2S 90C SMC), then started another. Not sure what temp it got to, but even after 10 minutes of being unplugged, it shut down on me again.

The SCT SV3/3800kv combo seems to be working well. With 13/54 gearing, it's similar in speed to the vxl/3500 with 14/54. I put 14/54 in it anyway this weekend and ran it for an hour, pretty hard, in short grass/hard packed dirt/gravel. Motor got up a little over 160 and the esc around 115.

The only real issue I had was that the ESC only puts out 5V for receiver/servo power. I thought that was killing my range, so I got a cheap 6A BEC which when set to 6V puts out 6.4V. The servo moves nice, but my range still sucked. Pretty sure my coaxial receiver antenna broke inside right next to the receiver case. Got new receivers and antenna's coming in the mail. Can't stand only being able to drive 120 feet.

Sorry, I know this is an HPI thread. Just posting the info in case anyone else wants to try the same motor/esc in something.

Latest posts

Members online

Back