shock towers bending

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazer X

After converting over to the lst shocks I have a problem bending the rear shock tower forward and ultimately busting the gas tank. I'm thinking of upgrading to a bulky aluminum tower but just not sure if that's the right way to go. I gotta do something, I have busted 5 tanks this summer and 14$ a piece.

Hey blazer,
Got the same issue with the towers being pushed inward.

Savagecre's roll bar fixes the issue.
Off course,.. you don't have to go with the same design he chose.

Just a couple of straight bars of 6160 across the length of the truck to the body mount support holes.

works wonders.. Just a thought.

yea that's what I got now and still have issues doob...in fact I think the bars through the tower put move leverage on the plastic. I gotta get my welder going and revamp it.

Hummmm , Cre had a working example of this fix. Its a real trick to find the exact bend points for a propper fit.
But I can say tha it did improve the rigidity of the towers very well.

not sure what style of towers you have but the savage x style work for me ..they don't flex as bad and haven't busted any tanks lately...also you could get a small piece of metal and glue it to the tank ...Make sure your shock tower bolt isn't too long that will bust the tank when it flexes

i use the savage x roll bar and cage take a little flex out. allso I face the head end of the bolt towards the tank and the nut end towards the rear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an XSS with the plastic X towers, LST shocks and Fast Lane Machine Hybrid bulkheads.

The X Towers will fit all of the HPI Savage trucks, but they will still eventually bend. Mine have. My truck is mid-tanked, so I'm not busting fuel tanks, but the towers are certainly bending. I did notice one thing, though ... after I added a second set of LST shocks to the rear (4 all together), the tower began to stand back up. Makes sense!! Now, if I could only figure out a way to do 4 LST's up front, lol!

I think HPI uses 8 shocks in the original design in order to keep their shock towers straight. It evens out the load.

Yes... I agree, Crusader.

And, I new that quad in the front comment I hinted about would pose some chalenges for you.lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back