Shifting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octane

Hey all. Ran the second tank of fuel in today. Cracked the throttle full a few time. Running it on a hard surface and a pretty good distance. I figured it would be ok to do that. But was strange I never heard it shift to 2nd. Seemed to stay in 1st whining out. Kept the throttle wide opened for a short time. Ran it like that through the second tank. Didn't hear any shifting. I wouldn't think that the shifting has a time for brake in also. Has anyone adjusted the shifting to second ? Don't want to create any problems.

how is the engine performance? if it is not running right it may not shift yet.....
Still spits, sputters and farts. Every now and then engine runs smooth at full throttle. I back off of it some then run it up again might run smooth may not. Not running smooth yet. I did expect that to be like that for awhile. Just finished the second tank today. Hope I'm not screwing up the engine by periodically running at full throttle for about 10 to20 seconds or so. I can see and hear the engine going back and forth between running smooth and back to the above spit and sputter more spit and sputter than smooth. Feels like she wants to brake loose. Got one more concerning the batteries. Went to the local hobby store and they only had 6 volt 1700's. I asked if that was ok to use and was told no problem. I did see that HPI discontinued the 1200 and went to a 1600 replacement. So I got the 1700,s haven't installed them yet. Thanks a lot for that fast response.

Last edited:
sounds like it is not in tune to me. many people are having the same issues you describe.... read thru the octane threads here and see how it goes......

The mAh rating (1700 in the case of the battery you just bought) gives you the capacity for current draw the battery is capable of. In other words the greater the mAh the longer you can use it.

As far as the transmission shifting, likely it is due to your tune. The clutches on the gears react to RPM, so if you don't hit the right RPM it doesn't shift. Worst comes to worst and you get the engine tuned correctly but still can't get it to shift, then there are adjustments that can be made to the clutches.

It's still running rough. Didn't know that would inhibit the shifting. I guess I should wait and run a few more tanks of fuel in it. Octane is 93%. Starts up pretty good. Guess it's best not to attempt any adjustments for awhile. Might be asking to much to fast for the Savage. Have to admit (being older than dirt) It's pretty darn cool. Loud. Neighbors must love me. Thanks again for the information. Never thought about what you stated HPISF Ghost. Makes logical sense. Jam Racing 1, I'll check the octane posts also.

um, I don't know about the octane, but on the nitro, u have to set up second gear. did u do that?

Not so, I say run it and finish break in and go from there, one look at rcnut14s title should speak VOLUMES to his cred......

No haven't done that yet. Figure that I may wait awhile till I run a few more tanks of fuel through it. Judging from what I have read seems that I should wait awhile till it's broke in. The brake in seems to vary from one to another from what I've seen. I'll give it some time. First time I ever had a RC that took fuel. The other one I have is electric Traxxas Slash 4x4. Big learning curve and at my young age I forget "what day is it". Sort of interesting about the recommended octane to use 92-93% US. So far everyone that answered my post have been informative, and that is great. For the moment I'll run it for awhile longer as is. Sounds at time that it wants to brake loose. When it ran out of fuel she had a fast and smooth sound for a second or so, got real fast in that short burst. Surprised me. Thought I broke something.

Didn't read the rest of rcnut14 about "I give bad advice". Interesting title. Yup going to run it the way it is especially since it is brand new. Didn't have a clue about the engine brake in and shifting.

Get the engine completely broke in and tuned before worrying about shifting to second. Most of the 2 speed nitros I have didn't hit second until after the engine was broken in and tuned properly, don't rush the break in.

Probably I expected something to quick not understanding the correlation with engine and transmission break in. Didn't realize that they both work hand in hand. Hope I was doing the initial break in with the first tank. Ran it at 1/4 to a 1/3 throttle. Shut it down during that time let cool for awhile ran it on the same tank. I figured that the it would not change gears at that low of a speed. Today ran it slow for a few minutes then started to crack the throttle some. Gave it full throttle for a about 10 to 20 seconds backed off, ran it slow again, did this several times and that's when I noticed no change to 2nd. Yes the motor is still running rough, smooth's out a little. That I expected. The gear change had me going. Wasn't really sure why. But I thank all of you for the information about the break in of the vehicle and not to rush it. Just hope I was ok the way I ran it on the second tank. You all have been very helpful. Hope I didn't screw up the motor running at full throttle for a little bit. Thanks griff7373.

Agree on not rushing the break-in. Even when I get used trucks and buggies, I strip them down completely, clean, re-grease, clean out the engine, set everything back to defaults and tune it to my satisfaction. Even tho it's already broken in, I threat it as a new engine so I can understand it as much as possible. I'm eager to run them,...but spend most of my sessions just tuning and tuning...till I have a happy medium from start to fuel is finished.,

It took me 2 full tanks to enter to the second gear. At the 5th tank I am not in the 3rd gear yet. Right the opposite, now after running for a few minutes it does not even get the 2nd..

Have to add to this with a few other questions. At the moment I have ran 5 tanks of 93% octane per instructions. Not running any better, but have not made any adjustments to the savage yet. So at what point would it be safe to say about break in is about or is over. The shifting seems to be linked with engine performance so I'm guess the shifting is changed by centrifugal force. I'm guessing that I'm about to adjust the carb first. 2 issues. High speed very rarely is hit (every now and then it winds up high), when I hold the throttle transmitter about half way she surges and sputters. I did use the transmitter to lower the idle speed. It appears that I have to adjust both high and low speed. I must say that it does have initial good get up and go. It did do a wheely un-intentionally though I got froggy with the throttle. Guess I'm asking where should I start ? High speed adjustment first ? Then low speed if needed. It does smoke heavy at times. Seems I'm running real rich. And now I'm back at the shifting Haven't made any adjustments and it seems like when the motor is running right that shifting should follow. Plan on running today. Seems AgOctane you are back to where I'm still at. Hopefully after I adjusting the carb I won't have to fool with the adjustment of the tranny. Starting is no issue. I did see one video on this forum done by I think it was by White seems his was running about the same way as mine judging from the vid. Hope the rain stops.

Last edited:
I did open the orange cover just to look at the adjustment for the transmission. When I opened it I was met with a lot of grease on the inside of the cover. The 2 and 3rd hole was full of grease. The opening was as only as big as a Q tip end and all around was grease. I did not expect this. When I watched HPI in how to do the adjustments their adjustment hole was clean as all get up. Normal ? I would be hard pressed even to find any type of adjustments in side.

I did open the orange cover just to look at the adjustment for the transmission. When I opened it I was met with a lot of grease on the inside of the cover. The 2 and 3rd hole was full of grease. The opening was as only as big as a Q tip end and all around was grease. I did not expect this. When I watched HPI in how to do the adjustments their adjustment hole was clean as all get up. Normal ? I would be hard pressed even to find any type of adjustments in side.
I wouldn't adjust the needles until after about 8 tanks but everyone is going to have a different opinion on that one. It seems this truck takes anywhere from 12 to over twenty tanks to fully break in . HPI says not to adjust the low speed needle and only adjust the high and idle but I think that's just them playing safe for corporate reasons. When you adjust the trim on the transmitter check the red discs on the brakes on the underside of the truck and try to turn them a bit by hand and make sure they are not engaged due to the trim , if they are ease the trim back a little bit. I use 87 octane chevron gas with no issues , the tranny needs to be adjusted to the engine once the engine is semi broken in. I started messing with the tranny on the eight tank and the grease in the tranny is supposed to be there , when you adjust the tranny make sure you adjust the bottom screw on the tranny gear , the grease makes it hard to spot the adjustment screw unless you have real good light or a flashlight. Keep in mind that the servos might fail but that's an easy fix , HPI sent me a new one with metal gears as opposed to the one that comes with it with plastic gears.

I'm going to double check on the brakes. Think they are ok. When I let off the gas she'll role a little. I might be way over my head with this. No one around here Fayetteville, NC to get up with. Most run electric, very few I have seen with nitro. Ran 2 tanks of gas through it today. Runs ok. Good start up, idles good, has a little surge and miss in the mid range, when I crack the throttle open she appears to hitting real well pretty smooth. Just don't want to grab that second gear yet. It's like the motor is maxed out looking and waiting for second. I'll keep running for awhile as is without any adjustments. So you have no problems with 87%. 93% seems to be pretty high. None of my other 2 cycle's call for that high of an octane. Like weed eaters and gas blower 87.
Getting a lot of support and information from everyone. Most important I get is don't get discouraged.

Thanks for your precious comments guys (even though in some cases it sounds Greek..). I need to study more to follow up with you. I also know that after the 20th tank the Octane has reached its capabilities and can be adjusted accordingly.

I'm going to double check on the brakes. Think they are ok. When I let off the gas she'll role a little. I might be way over my head with this. No one around here Fayetteville, NC to get up with. Most run electric, very few I have seen with nitro. Ran 2 tanks of gas through it today. Runs ok. Good start up, idles good, has a little surge and miss in the mid range, when I crack the throttle open she appears to hitting real well pretty smooth. Just don't want to grab that second gear yet. It's like the motor is maxed out looking and waiting for second. I'll keep running for awhile as is without any adjustments. So you have no problems with 87%. 93% seems to be pretty high. None of my other 2 cycle's call for that high of an octane. Like weed eaters and gas blower 87.
Getting a lot of support and information from everyone. Most important I get is don't get discouraged.
Your Octane sounds pretty healthy and sounds like it's doing all the right things and if it rolls after you release the throttle that also sounds good. You could probably adjust the tranny now to make it go into second and then third but you might have to readjust it again when it's fully broken in. I love the Octane and the loudness is a plus for me , it gets my adrenaline going and I think it ads to the excitement .

Yup I like it. Probably will run it a little more. Didn't expect the trans to be adjusted right away. Didn't figure on that. Little apprehensive about adjusting it. Not so much on the how, but seeing the where with my eye balls is another story. It's dark in there and loaded with grease. Just threw me a curve on servos and easy fix. I'm way behind the power curve. Just very surprised about the non shifting situation. So far as starting, idling, can't complain. Running is some what rough and has a little surges mid rpm range, higher rpms pretty good. But I don't have anything to compare it with. Like another person that has the same RC. As far as I know around here no hands on help or face to face advice. From a dead stop surprisingly strong. Front end does come up easy if I hit a little to hard.

it is actually good that it rolls when u let off the gas. to brake, u press the trigger forward. as for the gas, I've never had a 5th scale, but I always use 93% in my small engines.

it is actually good that it rolls when u let off the gas. to brake, u press the trigger forward. as for the gas, I've never had a 5th scale, but I always use 93% in my small engines.
I'll have to stick with the instructions at 93%. Must be a reason for the 93%. Went over the settings brake was set ok from factory, In process of checking the low and high speed needle settings. Did the high speed to make sure that it was set at factory specs even though I didn't fool with it from the beginning it was set at one turn out just as it came out of the box. Going to check the low speed but it's probably set right from the factory. 1 and 7/12 factory. I may have caused my own shifting problem. I checked the throttle adjustment per instruction looked good. Now here was my screw up. The throttle trim on the transmitter was not right. I was not getting full throttle. My stupidity for not checking. Pulled the trigger and since the throttle trim was set way to slack it could not pull the carburetor arm open to it's full position. I might have moved it not realizing it or did it not I was doing. I'm hoping that might take care of the shifting. Let you all know later after I run it.

Finished with the savage. 8th tank of fuel no off roading, jumps, or anything like that at all. Saw the muffler moving some. Looked, and how grand, muffler cracked at the flange. $860 for 2 weeks of "how come it don't shift" . Checking the settings, not even changing anything. Gave it time for break in and it broke in alright. Btw never shifted to second , but shifted the muffler just fine right off the flange. So as far as I'm concerned it's a darned expensive paper weight. Ain't going to fix it either. Bout got a good mind to take a sledge hammer to it. That said, you all have been darned good explaining and possible fix's.

HPI will replace that header, a few members have been down that road already. Some times you just need to step away for a while and cool off. Worst comes to worst and you absolutely cannot stand the sight of your octane I know there are several members here who would gladly take it off your hands. The octane has had a very problematic life so far, hopefully HPI takes care of these issues soon.

After my ranting and raving I got a hold of HPI support. I must say I am impressed. I explained the problem, muffler, shifting, and a couple of other concerns. Was told that they would send the new part. So I asked them if I could just send the whole vehicle back so they can check the vehicle out, replace the muffler and a 1 or 2 other issues. I was told there was no problem and they will check it out from top to bottom including road testing. One of the best customer service I have encountered. After talking with them and letting them know that I was dumber then a box of rocks with this vehicle they had a good laugh and so did I. Just got a little ticked off and again I didn't see that one coming. I did read others had that happen, but I was in the corner that naw it not me. Live and learn I guess. It's all good. I hope. Later...

Last edited:
Will do. Expect the turn around will take awhile. No rush.

Latest posts

Members online

Back