shifting problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagerocks

i was bashing my savage this last week and i noticed that it wouldnt shift into second unless i let off the throttle and re-apply it a few times before it would switch into second gear. what can be the cause of this and how to fix it? Also where can I get a copy of the manual to the savage 25?

When was the last time you had it open and looked inside it? They tend to get moisture inside them so its a good idea to spuirt some WD-40 inside them once in a while. I also like to add some powdered graphite to it also as an added lubricant so parts don't get worn or stuck.

I'm sure you could download a manual from HPIs website or purchase one off ebay.

Have you attempted to tune the shift into second? I would probally start with that before tearing into it. In the manual posted by AllanQ you should find instructions to tune it.

I squirt WD-40 in there every now and then just to protect from moisture. I had the tranny open once and noticed the gears were bone dry and some dirt/rust around the bearings. savagerocks, keep us posted on your progress.

You do know that you are NOT to put any kind of lube in that transmission??
You don't want to put grease in there but some WD-40 and/or powdered graphite wont hurt anything. It will actually save you from wear and rust damage in the long run. I have been running mine like that for a couple years now and have not had one problem.

WD-40 is great for the tranny. I actually soak mine down first, then let it dry off before use. This way, there is no water near the gears or bearings. The thing never hesitates and is silver shiny just like new. :)

I believe it's called Iron Oxide.. And it's like a flesh eating disorder to any alloy containing Iron. :) Stupid Oxygen lol

Yeah, Rust = BAD.

So I know this is an old thread and everyone says not to lub the tranny so why does the factory gob the crap out of the tranny with grease? Mine was absolutely gobbed with grease and can't get it to shift.

So I know this is an old thread and everyone says not to lub the tranny so why does the factory gob the crap out of the tranny with grease? Mine was absolutely gobbed with grease and can't get it to shift.
The TRANS is gobbed with grease or a diff? Did you buy it new or used?

NO WAY! This is what a Savage 3 speed trans should look like on the inside:
svTrnsOpen.jpg
This was during my conversion from 2 speed to 3 speed in the alloy case. The gears shouldn't have more than a glaze of oil on them to prevent rust.

In my experience a light coat of white grease does not hurt a thing, as long as you clean it all up and distribute the grease evenly across the gear teeth there should be nothing to hinder shifting at all..... I would reset the shift points back to factory and start again this time making small adjustments until it shifts like you expect it to...

I haven't heard mine shift yet. Have about 3qts ran through it and have wound it out Pretty good last few days. I took rubber plug off today and turned screw 1/2 round to left and still no shift. Mine has alot of grease in it also from factory. Thought this was normal, so is grease not letting it shift? Should I clean out?

I haven't heard mine shift yet. Have about 3qts ran through it and have wound it out Pretty good last few days. I took rubber plug off today and turned screw 1/2 round to left and still no shift. Mine has alot of grease in it also from factory. Thought this was normal, so is grease not letting it shift? Should I clean out?

1/2 turn is probably way too much, I doubt the grease is causing it but it is possible, think of the adjustment screw as a clock face and turn in 1 hour increments until it shifts where you want it, and turning left will delay shift just so you are aware....
are you sure you are turning the proper screw also it should take a 2mm wrench and inserts at a slight angle

1/2 turn is probably way too much, I doubt the grease is causing it but it is possible, think of the adjustment screw as a clock face and turn in 1 hour increments until it shifts where you want it, and turning left will delay shift just so you are aware....
are you sure you are turning the proper screw also it should take a 2mm wrench and inserts at a slight angle
I think it was rite screw, was 2mm. Took a bit to figure out had to line up gap with screw. And I could have sworn book said counter clockwise to make it shift sooner. I probably did about a 2 hr turn at most.

Could be that it is in second gear to start with, standard position as set from the factory is 1 1/2 turns from top of clutch holder, it is possible to back it out so far that it jams the hub causing damage, start there and make small adjustments. I got this info from section 5-1 in my manual

Will it pop wheelies, balloon tires and cut donuts in 2nd? I didn't see in my manual where factory setting was. Thanms

Will it pop wheelies, balloon tires and cut donuts in 2nd? I didn't see in my manual where factory setting was. Thanms

I am sure under the right conditions yes it could perform those, my point is that you should be sure and double check your settings..... it only takes a minute and could save you parts and hassle in the long run.....

I am sure under the right conditions yes it could perform those, my point is that you should be sure and double check your settings..... it only takes a minute and could save you parts and hassle in the long run.....
Ok, I will check in the morning. I leave it at work during the week as it's dark when I get home. One more thing I found today you may help with. Checking it over today and noticed right rear axle where it goes into gearbox. Anything I can tighten up? The other 3 had a little play but that one was alot worse.

if you are referring to the dogbone drive axle, yes there should be a bit of play, there are o rings inside the hub/axle and the diff output cup to keep them from being too loose, a piece of fuel tube will work in a pinch but any hardware store sells o rings that will work well also ask for something 6mmx9.5mmx2mm thick or so

Last edited:
turning left will delay shift just so you are aware....

What now? Pretty sure it's the other way around. Clockwise (right) will tighten compression on the spring which will delay the shift. CCW (left) would lessen the compression on the spring and it will shift earlier.

2016-0128-SavageX2SpeedAdjustment.jpg

Did I misunderstand something?

Caught me, that crap throws me, I do it right but say it backwards I guess old age is catchin up here :lmao:
I think I got it right in the post below tho :oops:

Old people....sheesh.
Anyway, treat the adjustment like a clock. You put the Allen key in and the clock is at noon. Back it off to 11:00, or one hour, and it's earlier. Turn it to 1:00 or 2:00 and it's later.

Latest posts

Members online

Back