Shanty's 8ight 2.0 Brushless Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanty

I WILL BREAK IT!!!
Hey,

I had some people wanting me to do a thread on my 8ight 2.0 conversion so here it is. I will try to up date it as much as possible. Here is my 8ight as of last night. The tank and radio box is already out.

DSC_0381.jpg

The next thing I did was take out the throttle linkage, and pull off the brakes for the obvious reason of not needing them with electric.

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

Today I was able to pick up my steering servo for my unit. Its a JR Z9100S Ultra High Speed Servo. Specs are as follows, Torque 180oz/in @ 6V and Speed 0.06 sec @ 6V. I heard some good reviews about the servo, and the fact that it has a 3 year warranty no questions ask is a bonus.

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0388.jpg

Thats all as of now, will be updated as soon as more stuff gets done.

wow how much is that servo? looks expensive lol nice buggy, i wish i had enough money to have an 8ight

I was able to get the servo it self for $130 CAN. It was the most expensive servo I have ever bought so we will see if it was worth it. I know alot of people who swear buy these so we will see. The biggest reason I bought the servo was because I average about 1 year on a servo, so if I get three years out of it I have saved money going this route.

Today I went out and bought the motor and ESC that will be going in. Its a Novak HV6.5 Brushless System. Here are some pictures. The ESC comes with Tamiya plug on it, but I will be changing them out to Deans. I will also wire up the ESC so there is only one battery feed coming off and not two. Novak gives instructions on how to do this.

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

That motor will be a good choice for the buggy. You many have said this already but what battery's are you going to run in this thing?

Also, you will have to let us know how difficult the programing is on it.

Looks fun and can't wait to see the rest of the build.

I will be running a trackpower 4s LiPo. If the programming is anything like the 1/18 novak mongoose then the programming should be fairly simple.

Nice. I would pay you out for using a novak motor and speedy but I can't cause I'm not having much luck with my weapon of choice at the moment. I am sitting next to the start of my brushless buggy which just showed up today. It is an LRP S8-BX which has battery tray, motor and esc mount courtesy of rc-monster and it looks sweet. Problem is it is going to sit on the shelf for a while unfinished as my rc budget isn't that big at the moment and it is being spent on other things. It's a shame because I would really love to finish it.

Sounds awesome Tim, I would love to see yours once it's done.

I am hoping to get the same top end of the nitro buggy's in the same class. But with the instant power of the brushless have acceleration that blows them out of the water. But we will see, I could end up plugging the battery in and the whole thing could go up in smoke.

Once I start racing next year, I most likely will be racing with the nitro. The only downside I can see to running brushless is that during the Main when I come in and have to pit, it will take me 30 seconds to change a battery instead of just taking less then 15 seconds to fill the tank. But all I know once the rules are set in place, I might be able to run a battery that can last the whole race.

I would think if you get a Nice 4s Hard cased LiPo 5000mAh or better it will last atleast 35 minuets especially if your not running it full board in the program.

I would think if you get a Nice 4s Hard cased LiPo 5000mAh or better it will last atleast 35 minuets especially if your not running it full board in the program.

It depends really. I have heard of people getting that sort of runtime off 5s 5000mah but 4 tends to leave you a bit short. With the pit stop thing a nitro will have to pit multiple times and you will only need the one so it could be made to be fair.

I took some pics of mine last night. Motor mount as I said is done. Battery tray will need to be secured once I know where the best place for it is balance wise.

Well I was able to get everything I needed to finsh up the build except a battery to run the thing.

With the conversion kit you have to rebuild the center diff case. The new rebuild puts the engine mount on the side on the diff case.

DSC_0392.jpg

DSC_0393.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

Now the center diff is put back into the car. I forgot to get a picture, but the conversion kit shimmed up the diff a little bit, by putting a cover to get rid of the holes that the nitro's needed for the flywheel etc.

DSC_0395.jpg

Next step was to mount the radio box into the car. The radio box is different then the original that the car came with.

DSC_0396.jpg

Next step I did was mount the battery tray and ESC tray. The battery and ESC try are all one piece. I don't know how much I like the three strap design. I most likely well end up putting a large strap going length wise. The reason why I would do this is because if I have to pit in a race, it should take less time to get the battery out. And I was done this, I put the motor and esc into place. I did have to take off the heat sink on the motor because the fins were just barely touching the rear dog bone. Depending on the temps on the first time out running will determine if I will mod the heat sink to make it fit. I still have to tie strap the wires to make sure they don't hit anything but you get the idea.

DSC_0401.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

Overall is was a pretty simple build, and the conversion kit Losi has out for the 8ight and 8ight-T work great. For those who didn't know, the 8ight-T will accept this same conversion.

If you have any questions please ask.

Well I went and got a battery to run the thing. I was planning on running a 4s but for now I just bought a Venom 3s 4000mah LiPo. I took the buggy for a spin and I am very impressed. As of now I don't see the point in getting a 4s LiPo till I go beside my managers buggy with the 4s and see what I am missing. With the gearing I am running it feels about the same speed as my Savage (LOL Yea I went by feel for now, let me be :p), but gets up to speed way quicker. But anyways, for the cheap battery I ran it for now, it exceeded my expectations. I will try to get some video tomorrow, but snow came today. It said it's supposed to melt by tomorrow. I can't complain, living in Canada and just starting to get snow now is very nice as it is.

Well I went and got a battery to run the thing. I was planning on running a 4s but for now I just bought a Venom 3s 4000mah LiPo. I took the buggy for a spin and I am very impressed. As of now I don't see the point in getting a 4s LiPo till I go beside my managers buggy with the 4s and see what I am missing. With the gearing I am running it feels about the same speed as my Savage (LOL Yea I went by feel for now, let me be :p), but gets up to speed way quicker. But anyways, for the cheap battery I ran it for now, it exceeded my expectations. I will try to get some video tomorrow, but snow came today. It said it's supposed to melt by tomorrow. I can't complain, living in Canada and just starting to get snow now is very nice as it is.

ya its still snowing were i live!! lol it looks awsome and sounds like its going to be a blast, you will have to keep us updated!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Back