setting up your 3 speed tranny on your savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IamSavage

ok guys

how i found it easyer to set up my 3 speed tranny as there is a lot of people asking how to get the setting right on there 3 speed

everyone knows that the 2 speed tranny is easyer to set up as you only have one clutch adjustment to adjust and that is though the rubber cap on you tranny so what i did is the following

i pulled my gearbox out of my savage and pulled apart the tranny so in my hand i had the 3 speed thats 1st,2nd and 3rd gear with the gear clutch adjusters this is not the bit with the 3 alloy small gears that are on the spur gear shaft.

i removed the 3rd gear clutch grub screw that holds the 3rd clutch gear adjuster in place then the 3rd gear and bearing then the 2nd gear witch only left me in my hand the 1st gear and the 2nd gear clutch adjuster i then screwed the second gear from right in out to standerd setting to 4.1/2 turns from closed but then said to myself that i have the following set up

4.6 engine
15t clutch bell
49t spur
and the only thing i changed are the wheels and tyres and they are from a losi truggy 4.0 series

so as thay are a lighter wheel and tyre i turned the clutch adjustment grub screw in by one hole turn so from closed it is now only 3.1/2 turns out from closed.
put the second gear on with bearing then the 3rd gear on with bearing but then i locked out the 3rd gear adjustment clutch and all i did to this was screw the adjustment clutch screw right in and till it would not go in no more

then put it all together back on the truck and went out side with the 2nd clutch set at 3.1/2 turns out from closed and the 3rd lock out

started her up did a few runs up and down the road and she shifted at top rpm witch was spot on so now i know it was shifting from 1st to 2nd as i know i had locked out 3rd then though the rubber cap were you can get to the 3rd gear adjustment grub screw on the clutch i turned it out 1 hole turn and did a few more runs but only shifted once so i made a adjustment again of a hole turn again and still only shifted once so i pulled it in and adjusted it again but only 1/2 a turn so now I'm out 2.1/2 turns from closed and the standerd setting are 3 turns out from closed on the 3rd clutch and run it again and she shift twice both at the top of the rpm range

so by doing this the way i did it by locking out 3rd i know it was shifting from 1st to 2nd and thinking was that 2nd to 3rd you get what I'm saying

however setting may change as if you have the following ( this is for i.e )

.32 engine + standerd size wheels you will find that 2nd gear clutch when you pull it a part may need to be only 3 turns out from closed as you have moer power

or

if you have say the standerd engine and put say big joes witch are a bigger , heavy wheel then you may need to set the 2nd clutch to 4.1/2 to 5.0 turns from closed

hope this help anyone having the same problem i did and but doing this you have not got to keep pulling out the tranny from your truck

Nice write up. That's how I've always adjusted my trans. Just to clarify things, it's not so much the weight of the rim/tire combo your runnin that affects the speed and shift points of your trans, it's the size (circumference). Goin from a large rim/tire combo to a small rim/tire combo, your trans will shift sooner/earlier. Goin from a small rim/tire combo to a large rim/tire combo, your trans will shift later, if at all. I know this from playin around with different rim/tire combo. I used to run the Cen GST 7.7 rims/tires, which are huge. After my full rebuild, I went back to a standard/maxx size tire and some AKA buggy tires, which are almost the same diameter. The trans was set perfect with the Cen rims/tires and by swappin to the AKAs, I was in 3rd within a matter of seconds. I'll just say, with the AKAs, it was shiftin into 3rd in the same amount of time and distance as it was shiftin into 2nd with the Cens. Just some more helpful info to add.

started her up did a few runs up and down the road and she shifted at top rpm witch was spot on so now i know it was shifting from 1st to 2nd as i know i had locked out 3rd then though the rubber cap were you can get to the 3rd gear adjustment grub screw on the clutch i turned it out 1 hole turn and did a few more runs but only shifted once so i made a adjustment again of a hole turn again and still only shifted once so i pulled it in and adjusted it again but only 1/2 a turn so now I'm out 2.1/2 turns from closed and the standerd setting are 3 turns out from closed on the 3rd clutch and run it again and she shift twice both at the top of the rpm range

Your 1st - 2nd shift point is off. Since your runnin a stock motor, it should be shifting from 1st to 2nd within the first 25-30ft of takin off from a dead stop. Reason why you don't wanna max the RPMs before the shift point, is because the motor will have to work harder to get thru 2nd. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd at the upper RPM range is fine. Now, if you were runnin a modded motor that has alot more power, you'd be able to hang in 1st gear to a high RPM before havin it shift into 2nd. Reason, cuz a modded motor has the power to pull it through all 3 gears like that. Some times it's noticable (more noticable for someone who's been runnin RCs for a long time) that the motor bogs a bit when the 1st to 2nd shift happens. Or, basically, it becomes a little sluggish.

you are right i have been out today and found it reving out in 1st so i adjusted the 2nd gear point and it shifts into second with in about 15 foot and into 3rd about 10 foot after that she is going really well also you are also riight in saying about the size of the wheels so thank you for putting that right

you are right i have been out today and found it reving out in 1st so i adjusted the 2nd gear point and it shifts into second with in about 15 foot and into 3rd about 10 foot after that she is going really well also you are also riight in saying about the size of the wheels so thank you for putting that right

No problem. You can go little more on the 1-2 shift point. I'd say turn it out about slightly less than a 1/16 of a turn so it shifts a little later. Then go about slightly more than a 1/16 of a turn on the 2-3 shift point. That should get you close to almost perfect.

dame gearbox

ok guy since going to add to all this after i said in me frist post that how i found the best way to set up ur tranny well if u want to do this every time you go out I'm mean, i will tell you my story

since owning my savage from day 1 the 3 speed tranny is a head ache in itself to get right as everyone know's well as in london, england today the weather was hot and the sun has been out i called the guys up and said " fancy going trucking" so we got to the field started my baby up, warm her up and the thing was in 3rd gear with in the first 8 mtrs but i thought its running so joy enjoy urself

however when i got home i removed the tranny and founf the setting for it to change right 2nd gear 2 turns out and 3rd 1/2 turn out is it possable that the springs inside the clutch get naff due to it sitting compressed. anyway all i did is went on line (ebay) and found a brand new 2 speed tranny with post for £27 with spur and slipper so i hit the buy now price removed my brakes and out put cups, spur and slipper leaving everything in side the tranny i.e the 3 speed walk up to my box of bit witch get forgoten about and put it in there and was happy to put it there.

all i will add this is not like HPI to make a bad item i mean there trucks cars parts are top and then come out with this and your not even able to adjust the 2nd when it together you got to remove everything

3 speed are :poop:

Latest posts

Members online

Back