Servo Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdragon

Hi

My question is this, are Titanium geared servos better then Metal geared servos? I keep hearing and seeing how titanium is stronger but brittle, and how people are always breaking titanium parts, is this the same with Titanium geared servos? I have never owned a Titanium geared servo, so I have no idea what to expect from one.

I have several titanium geared servos and they are very high torque. So far nothing has happened to the gears. Though now that I think about it, I have destroyed a few composite and alloy servo horns/arms recently. Might be that titanium is eating up the aluminium and composite teeth.

Which servo do you have in mind and for what purpose?

Both are fine. If you break one there is going to be some other issue I assume. Also I don’t believe the Ti ones are truly that. I think they are an alloy with just a very small percentage of Ti but could be mistaken. Regardless. I’ve not had problems with them (and I think my strongest is like ~600oz/.09...on 7.4)

Both are fine. If you break one there is going to be some other issue I assume. Also I don’t believe the Ti ones are truly that. I think they are an alloy with just a very small percentage of Ti but could be mistaken. Regardless. I’ve not had problems with them (and I think my strongest is like ~600oz/.09...on 7.4)
you are wrong about strength of titanium, brother! Titanium alloys are by far stronger than pure titanium.

you are wrong about strength of titanium, brother! Titanium alloys are by far stronger than pure titanium.
Yes, I believe that was my statement so unless I am missing we are saying the same thing. The fact the gears are not pure Ti should alleviate his concern as he is less likely to have a problem with them vs if it they were pure. I'm not aware of any pure Ti products for this hobby, but have not had any problems with what I;'ve had, including quire a few servos. On the other hand, I've not had problems with any"metal gear" servos either.
I'd say the advantage of the Ti would be they are lighter, but the disadvantage would be it's more likely to strip after being thread locked than the metal gears. Other than that, I've not experienced any differences. Should something be happening to one or the other I am unaware of?

@ajdragon If you are having issues with your servos lasting long, regardless of Alum, Steel, Plastic, of Ti gearing, consider the type of casing the servo has. I would place the importance on metal casings over plastic if I'm concerned with durability.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back