Self-made Carbon Fiber TVP's in the works (wish me luck...LOL)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0m0d067

ok, after the extreme dissapointment over the eBay seller selling my Vertigo Performance CF TVP's out from under me :slapped: , and not liking what I hear about the HPI ones, I've decided to make my own...I found the material on eBay for a fairly reasonable price, and I can even get it in Red, which works well for the color scheme on the planned build (actually the can sell red, blue, orange, yellow, green, silver and gold according to their eBay listings)...

:jamout: :FarleyParty:

I know some members on here have made their own, and was wondering if any of them had any advice for me? I work at a machine shop, but noticed the few times I've seen pics posted of people making their own, they were just using a reciprocating saw, drill press, and a dremel (if I remember correctly)...

any advice, questions, or comments are welcome...

:motorcycle: m0d0:motorcycle:

hey i have a gallon of resin and 1/2 a gallon of hardener, from uscomposites.com i originally paid 70 dollars for it but wouldnt mind selling it to you for 50 pm me if your interested

Evan

well, that's a nice offer, but for my first attempt, I'm just buying a pre-cured sheet...if my project turns out well, I may consider your offer for future projects...

I guess when I said "material" I should have been more specific :)

got a cured sheet of 12" x 24" x 3mm red CF for $100 (should be enough to do the chassis, plus a handful of other bits and pieces)

the colored carbon fiber is junk, the color is filler (fiberglass and crap) if you want quality carbon fiber carbonology.co.uk always use them best products!

i was thinking the same. the coloured carbon fibre isnt true carbon fibre all the way through. one sheet has to contain the colour and therefore removes the true cf nature

cutting carbon fiber i would suggest sanding it with a sanding drum on a drill press (completely lowered, for perfect 90 degree edge (waht cabbie uses)) and for cutting good old hack saw!

the colored carbon fiber is junk, the color is filler (fiberglass and crap) if you want quality carbon fiber carbonology.co.uk always use them best products!

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A 12" X 24" FULLY CURED SHEET OF RED CARBON FIBER. THIS SHEET IS APPROX 3MM THICK AND HAS A HIGH GLOSS FINISH ON BOTH SIDES. THE CARBONFIBER USED IS 1 ST QUALITY 5.7 OZ 2X2 TWILL. WE USE THE HIGHEST QUALITY RESINS WHICH GIVE A CRYSTAL CLEAR FINISH. MOST PLACES WILL USE A BROWNISH RESIN WHICH GIVE A YELLOWED LOOK. OUR CARBON FIBER SHEETS ARE HIGH GRADE AND THEY LOOK AMAZING.

direct quote from the listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=180082784146&rd=1&rd=1

yeah, but were saying its not full carbon weave all the way through. 1 or 2 sheets have to have a coloured section to make it red

agree it looks cool i prefer the true carbon fibre look myself

It's why I wish VP would have continued making his. Now he did do a ext tvp just not a lcg ext tvpand that was almost 2 bills. It was the most expensive Cf out. He use a 36 layer Quasi fiber. I have one set and another member has the ext ones. Couple of guys here have done or used some special cf Like boeing aircraft. Be careful who you buy from off Ebay stating there stuff is the best, most of the time it's BS

Last edited by a moderator:
the top weave is just cosmetic on carbon fibre. it's just there primarily for looks and to protect the weaves in between, these are the important ones, there is where the strength lies. coloured cf/carbon-kevlar have one layer or two over the main part to make it look nice.

]-[0pa]0ng;19024 said:
It's why I wish VP would have continued making his. Now he did do a ext tvp just not a lcg ext tvpand that was almost 2 bills. It was the most expensive Cf out. He use a 36 layer Quasi fiber. I have one set and another member has the ext ones. Couple of guys here have done or used some special cf Like boeing aircraft. Be careful who you buy from off Ebay stating there stuff is the best, most of the time it's BS

this is the website of the place I'm buying from...it states that their colored CF is carbon fiber woven with kevlar that has been dyed the color you want...if they're gonna use a filler, kevlar sounds like a good one to me...

http://www.compositeenvisions.com/materials.html

the only way you can get color is like what they have on the website k0m0d067, and the color is kevlar! only way you can get color with real carbon

the only way you can get color is like what they have on the website k0m0d067, and the color is kevlar! only way you can get color with real carbon

umm...who fricken cares?? kevlar is nothing to sneeze at...LOL and if you'll read the post right above yours, I just said that very same thing...that the color is kevlar that has been dyed...

dunno why you gotta come in tryin to push my buttons, but if you have nothing further to add then I'll kindly ask you to stop spamming in here, as your last post offered nothing to the conversation/discussion...

right I'm not trying to push your buttons I'm just stating factand sorry kevlar isnt good enough to protect the people who are protecting you

the only fact you've stated is that the colored portion of my CF isn't CF, which no one has ever argued...in fact I linked everyone to the website that says that very thing...then you post this little gem...

right I'm not trying to push your buttons I'm just stating factand sorry kevlar isnt good enough to protect the people who are protecting you

which is neither pertinent, or relative to the thread...

when did this thread become about kevlar protecting the armed forces???

stop posting nonsense in my thread...

Cant wait to c your cf man take us one the journy of the build !!! when you recive your prize!!!! that sexy looking red prize lol!!!!!! (please don't flame me for that ) lol

well, rest assured, there will be pics, but I'm not gonna do a step by step thing like JT did...most of my stuff is already done, and waiting for the TVP's...

Members online

Back