Second savage first rebuild!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Learningnitro

Here is my second Savage XL. Dirty and rough indeed. Going to try and keep it mostly basic nothing too fancy. Am wandering if HPI servos are good to keep in it or should I swap em out? Steering is HPI S25 and throttle is HPI S10. Should I replace with something else? Also the same ones in first savage and haven't had any issues just don't know if I'm missing out with using them instead of something different. Only RC cars I've had so don't really know what to compare them to. Here a few pics of getting in on the bench and before all the fun and learning. Haha.

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_185135.jpg
    IMG_20220713_185135.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220713_185123.jpg
    IMG_20220713_185123.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220713_185115.jpg
    IMG_20220713_185115.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220713_185109.jpg
    IMG_20220713_185109.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 7
I honestly remove rtr electronics, most of them are simply to get the vehicle running for a limited time, I bound my Savage to my FLYSKY GT3B and have good luck with servos from Power HD line of servos, the 25 kg should be fine for throttle/brake and 35 kg or better for the steering servo, They can be had at Amazon at decent prices, good luck on the cleaning and rebuild, a chip brush with half the bristles cut off to knock off larger crap and a toothbrush for cleaning other small stuff, a spray bottle of denatured alcohol helps loosen old fuel and removing gunk off the parts also...

Awesome. Thank you and imma do just that got me some old toothbrushes and such together. Was really wandering about that remote and almost afraid to ask about such a cheap priced one haha. Did you use the receiver that comes with it ,flysky) or something different?

Awesome. Thank you and imma do just that got me some old toothbrushes and such together. Was really wandering about that remote and almost afraid to ask about such a cheap priced one haha. Did you use the receiver that comes with it ,flysky) or something different?

I have been using my GT3B for about 7 years, I love the FlySky stuff, works well and never an issue, in fact I just bought the new FlySky GT7 with 2 receivers, going to be using it for my Drag Truck and all my big electric Monster Trucks and mud truck, I have 2 clodbusters and an SMT 10 so the 4 wheel steering mixing out to be great to use, I have way too many toys I suppose...

Jam 1, You can never have to many toys my friend. You know the saying, 'Only difference between men & boys are the price of their toys.'
As for FlySky some people are put off by the price of their radio gear, they think cos they are quite cheap that they are crap, quite the opposite. They are excellent radios & like you I love mine.

We'll got it apart and feel pretty good so far took the gearbox apart cleaned and made sure all looked good it's practically brand new besides dirty. So far so good and actually came apart much easier then I would have imagined.

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_213352.jpg
    IMG_20220718_213352.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 4
Glad you got it apart, They are not to bad once you've had them apart acouple of times, after awhile it becomes like second nature. See It has the old K5.9 mill, I have 4 of these, not the best to tune but I think they are still a good mill. you hear alot about them being bad as many folk just can't get them tuned right. 2 of mine are tuned well and I love them but the other 2 are well finnicky, still have work to do on them to get them running right. But when you do get the tune they drink fuel like nothing else I've used, will do a tank of furl in about 8-10 minutes. One thing to note is that piston/sleeves are almost impossible to find these days as is the pull start/roto start and starter shafts as they are all 11mm & not the std 12/14mm on most other mills. You can fit a 12mm shaft from an SH mill which gets rid of the latter but once these mills loose compression they are basically toast unless you can find someone who can re pinch it. I am still looking for somewhere that offers this service in the UK.

Ok well been productive for the most part got gearbox cleaned and all back together I did adjust clutch for second gear just a little lighter then original setting. I did see a little trick with springs from ball point pen in-between brake shoes I've got them cut at two and a half curls for each space and they fit good and seem to be tight as far as distance for brake bar movement hopfully they'll be tight with easier adjustments.🤞 Got electronic control box all clean and it was taken down to plastic only and washed good. Then each component cleaned and put back. The motor has been hidden under some funky stuff but is back to very clean and ready to go. It's exciting and I wish I had so much money to order every little thing I want to do to it now but it's a hobby right. Time is ok. I appreciate y'all's help along the way and moving forward. Here are a few pics. The body in these my wife hand painted wanted to show it off. Haha got my brake parts in Friday took number one out and absolutely had a good time it was changing into second no issues might be a little early but then totally trashed the bell gear. Haha swapped it with the other for now going to order from Robinson racing as have seen it recommended a ton on here. Not sure what tooth count to go with for now but also want to swap out from 52 tooth spur gear in time on both rigs. Seen a lot of 47/16s what do y'all recommend? Not looking for nothing crazy but strong. So anywho I've got it all clean and ready to go back together once I get front and rear ends done can't get there fast enough!

Attachments

• IMG_20220727_153906.jpg
    IMG_20220727_153906.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220727_154226.jpg
    IMG_20220727_154226.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220727_154105.jpg
    IMG_20220727_154105.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220727_154250.jpg
    IMG_20220727_154250.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220722_194512.jpg
    IMG_20220722_194512.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20220722_194525.jpg
    IMG_20220722_194525.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 6
Well you sure have made a mess of that clutch bell mate, looks like the mesh was way off. 2 of my K5.9s are running 16/49T and perform very well on this ratio. Love the pink shell too. LOL. In the process of building Savage No.9 at the mo and was thinking of painting the shell pink aswell. Looks like your running a 3mm engine plate on it.

Well you sure have made a mess of that clutch bell mate, looks like the mesh was way off. 2 of my K5.9s are running 16/49T and perform very well on this ratio. Love the pink shell too. LOL. In the process of building Savage No.9 at the mo and was thinking of painting the shell pink aswell. Looks like your running a 3mm engine plate on it.
Yeah I feel as though it's my fault too I'm almost positive that when I took gearbox lid off to adjust second gear I did seat it back correctly at all and did it to myself. Good lesson learned except now I am on my only bell on hand and have it all sitting good and meshed really well after removing motor to swap bells and went ahead and adjusted second gear clutch and now it's to deep and not shifting again consistently if it does. Don't want to mess with it anymore till I have the bells in from Robinson and on the second one I'm going to for sure drop down to 49/16 and to be honest prolly get the same set for both especially since you've had luck with them and like it. I appreciate it and yes I believe it is 3mm. The pink is cool too you should totally do number 9 in pink! Haha

Constant learning curve my friend that’s what makes it so much fun, with trail & error hang in there it will be all worth it when you finally get it running! 👍🏻

Constant learning curve my friend that’s what makes it so much fun, with trail & error hang in there it will be all worth it when you finally get it running! 👍🏻
Oh absolutely and it's extremely enjoyable when you get to drive em haha. Had a blast with it changing gears for all 12 minutes till the bell gear was trashed it was awesome. 🤣 Worth it! And I learned a good lesson! Had it out twice since changing it out and haven't broken anything else. I swapped shock oil out with new and got it ridding higher and way better handling by far.

For what it’s worth I think the sway bar makes a huge difference to handling & reaction time of steering, but others may differ! 👍🏻

For what it’s worth I think the sway bar makes a huge difference to handling & reaction time of steering, but others may differ! 👍🏻
Good to know and may try a set on one to see how I like it. I bet it reduces roll overs alot especially on pavement. Gotta keep the scrapes minimal haha. Or try to anyway

Got sway bars fitted to 2 of my trucks, 1 with the light duty bars & 1 with the heavy duty bars and I must say I don't notice any difference to the handling between these and my other 6 trucks that don't have them. If any thing I find they cause the truck to flip easier when cornering hard. The key is to get the oil in your shocks at the right weight for your use.. If your truck is used for straight line running maybe on tarmac then sway bars are a yes, but for off road bashing then just forget about them Remember this is just my opinion from having Savages with and without them fitted. Personally if your going to run on tarmac which these sway bars are meant for then why buy an off-road model in the 1st place. Do you find sway bars on proper size 4 x4 vehicle, well the answer is no. If anything you remove them. Had my share of off-road vehicle over the years and removed anti-rollbars from all of them

Thank you and I will surely just save my money and not waste it. I'll be doing my tuning mostly on pavement and some groomed grass but want to drive everywhere I can or think looks like it would be fun. So definitely think I'm going to stay away from them. Thank you I do appreciate the honest opinion. Helps a lot!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back