Sealing an engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jt

I looked around the forums the other day and didn't really find any complete information on sealing an engine. I thought I would do a little write up on sealing an engine for all the new people that might not know what some of us are talking about when we say "seal the engine".

I hope this helps some.

It is a good idea when you get a new engine to inspect it good and seal it up to prevent any air leaks which can cause you head aches down the road with tuning and idle.

First off you want a nice clean work surface to work on. Don't want to introduce any foreign material into the engine.

Start by removing the pull start and the back plate. Inspect the inside of the block thoroughly for any burrs or fine metal fragments. Using nitro cleaner wash out the block if any is found. Using a clean cloth and nitro cleaner wipe the contact areas of the block and the back plate, where we will be applying the silicon sealer (Permatex Utra Copper is a good one). Use your finger and apply a thin coat to the back of the block where the back plate gets bolted on. Now you can mount your back plate being sure to align the crank pin on the back plate with the crank pin hole on the crankshaft. Using a bit of blue loctite on back plate screws and tighten in star or cross pattern. Then install pull start or rotostart assembly and snug those screws in the same pattern.

Next we move to the carb, remove the pinch bolt that holds the carb, then remove the carb. Using a very small screwdriver or pick apply a them amount of of the silicon sealer to the inside edge of the hole where the pinch bolt is installed. This gets done to both sides of the engine. Next apply a small amount of silicon sealer to the upper part of the carb neck. Install you pinch bolt in the engine and get the bolt started, install your carb and place it in the truck and get the carb lined up where it needs too be and will open and close fully without interference. Once lined up remove engine from truck and tighten down the carb pinch bolt and cover with the silicon sealer.

Now for the needles. Before we tackle them, hold the carb closed with one hand and tighten the HSN carefully until it stops counting the turns (be sure not to over tighten and damage the needle) write that number down that you counted. Repeat the same process for the LSN. When you reassemble the needles to the carb you will set them back to these numbers that you wrote down, these are the engine factory setting for break-in (new engine). Now remove the needles including the idle needle and inspect the needle housings for any foreign matter or o-rings that may may been cut on assembly. Using Associated's Green Slime put a small bead around each o-ring of the needles and re-install them back into the carb. Screw all the way down being careful not to over tighten and then back out the number of turns that you counted and wrote down for that needle, (putting them back where they were from the factory). Remember the idle needle gets set to about 1mm gap in the carb.

Lastly we will look at the fuel inlet, some use gasket material on both sides of the banjo fitting (fuel inlet nipple) others have a tapered fit. Remove the HSN housing from the carb and remove the banjo fitting. If there is a gasket remove it and apply a very small amount of silicon to both sides of the banjo fitting (to much can clog the fuel inlet). Reassemble the HSN housing and banjo fitting back to the carb being careful not to over tighten the HSN housing and making sure the nipple is facing the direction you want to be (usually facing rear for a stock savage).

Now you have sealed you nitro engine, allow the silicon to set and cure for 24 hours before you put fuel to the engine and and fire it up.

Doing the above should ensure that there isn't any air leaks in the engine.
Here are some other things to check if your engine isn't running right. If you have a fuel filter, be sure to check the o-ring seal in the filter assembly. Check your fuel lines for cracks, cuts, or pin holes also check your fuel tank for any cracks. Check your exhaust gaskets for cracks or splits and make sure that the exhaust stinger isn't plugged or the pressure nipple isn't plugged. Clean your air filter often enough, and that the air filter is secured to the carb neck firmly using a cable tie or a small hose clamp can aslo be used

That should do it, now go out there and BASH that savage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I hope that all the new savage owners or anyone with an engine that hasn't been sealed reads this. a vacuum leak is a hard critter to track down sometimes. this will help stop that gremlin

Jt has a good piont there people EVEN WITH THE NEW MILL u still should seal that badboy up and check for burs and stuff ..I did the same thing with my surefire and my new sts I just bought.. I found that all four head bolts were loose on it (I forgot to seal the carb inlet tho will do Thanks for the write up jt u the man This thread will get alot of use Ill be linking it alot !!!A+

Some pics form when I sealed my engine...

I also did the front crankshaft bearing:
P1010150.jpg

Done:
P1010152.jpg

Backplate also sealed, but forgot to take pic.

Note, I used a EXTREMELY thin layer on top of the piston sleeve.. although it looks like much, Its only a tiny amount, but it's squeezed out...

To make sure nothing entered the engine, I did every seal twice, checking that nothing went into the wrong places...

teflon tape the HSN and seal the crab intake. Didn't see where you said anything about those 2 areas.

Damn I'm helpful.....:duh:

when u put green slime on the needles for sealing does that keep u from being able to adjust them?
just wondering i'm going to seal my engine. i bought ultra copper, i just have to get the green slime and nitro cleaner.

i don't understand how u can put that on something u screw in and out all of the time. seems like there would be no point in sealing it if you're going to break the seal when u screw it in and out for tuning. help me understand bubba. i have my ultra copper gasket maker and i'm fixing to sneak off to the hobbyshop in a few to get some greenslime.

This thread has turned out to be very Positive. Great Info followed by some really nice pics thanks to SC. I for one just Rated it
Thx Guys!

i bought some black loctite silicone sealer is that good for sealing or is it worth getting some other stuff like ultra copper
4x4

GREEN SLIME IS A HIGH GRADE LUBRICANT FOR SILICONS AND O-RINGS.

Available thur Team Associated.
Green Slime shouldn't hurt or obstruct your adjustabillity.

It should help it and improve the lifespan of any O-ring it's in contact with.

In tight spots, it acts like a thick lub with excellent staying power.

You can also use vasoline on the needle o rings. Very similar to green slime. It is what we use on aircraft fuel system o rings.

You can also use vasoline on the needle o rings. Very similar to green slime. It is what we use on aircraft fuel system o rings.

is that a possible substitution? as i put my order for a new engine but ididnt get any green slime and i don't wat to order again. and should i use teflon tape on the highspeed needle body that screws into the carby? thanks
savage racer

Vasoline is a great lube for o-rings and is petrolium based.

It acts as a conditioner to rubber.

Where as, Green Slime is a liquid silicon that conditions, while it also protects and insulates rubber o-rings.
Vasoline will burn away much cleanner if introduced in to the combustion process.

This, compeared to a liquid silicon.
You do not want this in your conbustion process. And yet, the liquid silicon has a better chance in not desolving away, due to it having better staying power, where it's applied.

I don't know this for sure, but I would guess, Green Slime can hold up better to nitro methane.

This, due to the fact that it's chemical make up is polymer based, resistive to breaking down to petrolium, by design.

I'm not a chemmist...just 2 cents..
================ I am not to be quoted here.===================

well i will just go to the auto store and try to find something from there for orings and if i cant i will use vasoline. thanks

You could also try o-ring silicoln as used by divers for their regulators. Only a couple of $ for a small tube from a dive shop.

whats the name of that orange stuff that people use to seal their engines???? i saw the pictures in the thread but i didn't find any names....

is it possible for my STS 30 to gain more power after sealing everything eventhough i had no problems in the first placE????????

I am on my way to Wal-Mart and plan on picking up some ultra-copper and vasaline and was wondering, when I seal my engine, should I also seal up the exhaust port or will I not gain anything from that? Also, when taking apart my truck for the first time, and removed the skid plate exposing the differential dirt got in there. After I clean out the diff I plan on using wheel bearing grease I use for my own car. Is this grease OK to use in the diff box or do I need something else? Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back