SavageX4.6 Big Block: Flipped it and now it wont run.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillies26

I got the Savage X 4.6 big block yesterday and spent most of the day today breaking it in. Finally, I took it out and I flipped it on its hood (didn't have the cover on it) and now it will start but it just sits there like its in neutral and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Thanks!

First off welcom to HPISF! That could be many solutions to your problem. I would check over the savage. Check the brake, sometimes it can get stuck. I've had small rocks stuck between the clutch bell and the spur gear. If that isn't it then you could have slipped a spring off your clutch. Oh ya, double check your dogbones, everthing look ok. Hope some of this helps.

thanks for the welcome!

The brakes are fine. It looks like the spur gear isn't mesh like the manual says. It landed on hits top so could it have pushed the engine so the gears aren't mesh anymore?

That could be it. Reset the mesh and see what happens. If nothing, check your clutch bell.

okay. the car came pre-built so I do reset the mesh?

sorry, I'm sort of new to all of this

scratch that I think I found it in the instruction manual...I have to move the engine to do it

yep also could just be the slipper came loose. adjust the mesh and check if you need more all post more too

Welcome to the forum! You are doing great bashing the savy hard on the first day. As you can see this is a great place to get help or answers to question. Keep posting up those questions when you have them.

there's 4 screws on the bottom of the truck. flip it over, you'll see a somewhat large, FLAT purple piece (looking at it, right-side up, straight down, it's what you're motor is mounted to). that's... well, your motor plate. heh. but yeah, there's 4 screws, loosen then just enough to where you can move the motor around. get a small piece of notebook paper, insert it between the clutch bell and the spur gear, move the motor into the spur gear so it's tight (do this while the front of the truck is pointed straight upward, it'll give you access to the underside). tighten the screws so they're pretty snug, but not tight tight. remove the paper, check the mesh (should have a TINY bit of play in it.... and i mean tiny). if it's good, tighten those screws as tight as you can possibly get them. the tighter the better. if you want use threadlock. most everyone here will probably recommend it, i personally do not use it cause i remove the motor a lot.

tru dat remember the spur should move freely no binding when meshed right.also welcome to the forum.

you may have knocked something loose in the transmission when you land upside down. maybe a grub screw came out or you killed a gear inside of the case?

Latest posts

Members online

Back