Savage xs spins out and looses control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rchrdjrz

I have a savage xs that I bought used from a guy of Craigslist and when I use it on dirt it spins out all the time and I loose control. He mentioned something about oil and grease. I don't know where or what kind to use.. any suggestions?

Welcome to :hpisf:

it may be your driving causing alot of that... the XS as it comes from the box can be quite squirrely to control.... Try adjusting your driving by letting off the throttle a bit when making turns, you have to remember these things although they are toys have lots of power and can get you in trouble quickly...

I am pretty good at controlling my other rc's. I have a arrma nero and a stampede 4x4 vxl. I have no problem with those two. It's only the savage xs that I have trouble controlling. Like I said I bought it used and the guy told me that he changed the diff oil and grease. He even warned me that it spins out pretty easily and he never got a chance to change to improve it. And sold it to me.

Did it come with a manual for reference ?? in the book it will give you information on what diff oils are recommended and other goodies like setting the esc for electronic controls built into it...

how is the suspension on the truck setup??? generally a harder suspension will tend to spin out a bit more on dirt surfaces than paved surfaces you can play with the shocks, spring rates and piston openings and thinner or heavier oils

Here's a video guide on removing the diff on savage xs

Are you running 2s or 3s? Does it have the factory tires on it? The factory tires are pretty bad about that.

Mine is also spinning out. Hard to make any steering adjustment in high speed even on 2s. I've only found one or two recommendations for diff oil. One is making the back diff more stiff by adding 100 oil in the back and 50 in the front. Hip sells something called heavy duty grease for their diff, without any numbers, so it's hard to tell how thick it is. The shocks are recommended 35 in the manual. I have read som others being satisfied with 40.
The tires are not good, but first step for me will be refill shocks, and try heavy diff oil.

Mine is also spinning out. Hard to make any steering adjustment in high speed even on 2s. I've only found one or two recommendations for diff oil. One is making the back diff more stiff by adding 100 oil in the back and 50 in the front. Hip sells something called heavy duty grease for their diff, without any numbers, so it's hard to tell how thick it is. The shocks are recommended 35 in the manual. I have read som others being satisfied with 40.
The tires are not good, but first step for me will be refill shocks, and try heavy diff oil.
I am going to try changing the diff oil then. But now I need to figure out what went wrong with my xs because when I push on the throttle the car makes a noise and doesn't move very quickly. I tried tightening the nut that is in tye middle for the slipper clutch and it is still doing the noise...

ooh, sounds like you need to replace the slipper pads.Mine was doing the same thing a while back and new pads fixed it for me. From what I hear those are very hard to find right now.

ooh, sounds like you need to replace the slipper pads.Mine was doing the same thing a while back and new pads fixed it for me. From what I hear those are very hard to find right now.
You were completely right! It was the pads, luckily I had extras and I swapped them out. The car runs good now. I haven't ordered the diff oil yet because I haven't made up my mind on what weight I want to do. I keep reading on the forums and I keep seeing 50k in the front and 30k in the rear.

Glad you had extra pads. that could have been a bummer. As far as the diff weight I'm not sure myself as I still have the original oil that was in the shocks. I do want to try some different weights and fool around with it to see what best suites me.

Glad you had extra pads. that could have been a bummer. As far as the diff weight I'm not sure myself as I still have the original oil that was in the shocks. I do want to try some different weights and fool around with it to see what best suites me.
Oh I wasn't talking about the shock oil. I was talking about the diff oil. I ordered 50k and 30k (front/back).

lol, sorry. I'm sick as hell right now and am all over the place on a ton of meds but yea, I haven't changed the diff oil or the shock oil. I do want to experiment with em both.

Latest posts

Members online

Back