Savage XL pull start shaft holder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daithi.L

Hi All,

New to the Hpi Savage world so could use as much help as possible, i currently have a trophy 3.5 and recently got back into them and purchaced a used Savage XL.I have had a look around and cant seem to find an answer to my question,

When buying the savage i was aware of intermitant starting issues when the roto start just rotated without the engine turning over, it turned over and ran perfect about 90% of the time so i was not to concerned and put this down to a one way bearing which was damaged.

When i opened it up and and checked the bearing was knackered so relieved with that but then i noticed the shaft holder didnt look right as the shaft holder and pin in the con rod are not connected as below.20221114_102039.jpg20221114_102044.jpg
I cant find anything online about this other than the below part which they seem to be connectedScreenshot_20221114-003358_Chrome.jpg
Does anyone have any info on this as I'm getting mixed up with the k5.9 and f5.9 parts when trying to find an answer online. Sorry about the script but wanted to give as much info as possible, look forward to hearing back, thanks

Attachments

• 20221114_102039.jpg
    20221114_102039.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20221113-235943_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-235943_Chrome.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20221113-234708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221113-234708_Chrome.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221114_102044.jpg
    20221114_102044.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 9
Where is the pin on your engine? I looked and it looks to me that it is in the end of the crankshaft should also be a spring in there at the bottom to keep it engaged in the bearing holder also, pull it out and reinstall into the 1 way holder and put back together....

Where is the pin on your engine? I looked and it looks to me that it is in the end of the crankshaft should also be a spring in there at the bottom to keep it engaged in the bearing holder also, pull it out and reinstall into the 1 way holder and put back together....
Yes the pin is in the crankshaft, i know the spring you are talking about but i didnt notice it, i will have a look again when i get home. The bearing holder doesnt have a circle hole where the pin would sit in, its an oval shape not sure if you can see it fully in the picture. This is why I'm unsure as to what way it should be. I had planned on taking the shaft holder out, pressing the bearing out and replacing it with a new one that i have ordered. This is when i noticed my pin is in the crank and not attached to the shaft holder as in the above link and every other picture i have seen trying to find anything out about it. Have you seen this before? Probly be best off just order a new part above would i?

I was also looking at hpi manuals and it seems to be all one piece part number
15294. Mine could have any sort of parts in it as it was bought used, just suprised it worked fine and if anyone has seen it before and what would be the best thing to do
Screenshot_20221114-195200_Gallery.jpg

On the K5.9 & K4.6 the pin should be pressed into the OWB, yours has come loose which is a common problem with them and there is no pressure spring for this type of OWB. The metal the OWB is made of is very soft and the pin over time stretches the hole it is pressed into in the bearing and comes out getting stuck in the end of the crank. If you can get it out you can press it back into the bearing with a vise. The bearing metal is that soft you can push it through the metal so it grips further in. I have had to do this to a couple of mine.

Here some phots of one that I have repaired, as you can see it had stretched the hole like yours. The pin I have used on it is a 2.5mm wheel axle hex pin from a 14mm savage hex. Just press the pin through the housing with a vise until it pushes all the way through and you can see it on the other side.

1668465326222.jpeg1668465353779.jpeg1668465378398.jpeg1668465413707.jpeg

Thanks for the info, i will do this over the next couple of days when i get the chance.
The pin in mine is free and not stuck in the crank thankfully, in your pictures did you have to drill the housing to allow the pin to go all the way through as mine doesnt open through to the other side?
I will have to check what size the pin i have is as not sure, any reason why you used a 14mm pin rather than standard one, or is the standard one 14mm?

Latest posts

Members online

Back