Savage XL newbie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bertoli88

Hello All

I have just purchased myself a second hand savage XL 5.9.

I haven't owned a nitro truck in about 7 years now. Used to have a savage 21 and 25, and a thunder tiger MTA4 .

I have purchased a 6v hump pack and fail safe for the savage. Also some spare os 8 glow plugs.

Is there any other upgrades or changes people would recommend for the savage XL ? I have also purchase some fuel tubing to put on the throttle/brake linkage as back in the day this gave better braking .

Great to be back into the hobbie as have missed it .

Thanks

well, I'm just the first to chime in , there will be more. but take carb apart and seal it, saves headache, I stink with 3 needle carbs, and this is just something I did, installing a 2 needle carb out of a f4.6 was my ticket. check back plate, check header gasket from header to block, making sure it is not damaged in any way and sealing properly. when I get a new rig, I go through everything before I run it. It narrows down problems on something I aint familiar with before I shake it down, and I don't know the history of that rig.

As @J.LO's SAVAGE X said, check over everything. A couple to add to his list. Check the slipper clutch pad, if in good condition make sure the nut is tightened all the way down and that the lock nut does not slip. Take a look at the clutch shoes and springs. If worn or loose, replace. Remove all hardware going into metal and reinsert after putting some blue loctite on the threads. There are several screws that are well known for flying off if this is not done.

Other than checking the rig out, bash it until you break it! Then look into upgrades.

Latest posts

Members online

Back