Savage XL gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bripost73

I noticed that the gearing on the XL is 16/52. Isn't the K5.9 supposed to have more torque than the K4.6? Even with the larger tires this seems a little low. Is the truck a wheelie monster with this gearing? I picked up a cheap 5.9 for my X and was thinking of using the 17/47 gearing (steel spur) that worked well with my stock K4.6 thinking that the 5.9 should have more torque and have no problem moving the truck. I have a 3spd installed and run Maximizer beadlocks with LST II tires and will be adding extended tvp soon. What do you guys think?

I'm also thinking of upgrading to the XL heavy duty dog bones with the wideners (there pretty cheap on EBAY, if I can get the diffs cheap too), but I'm already running 1/2 in offset wheels. I'm a little nervous about the extra load on the bearings. The truck already has the HPI suspension conversion intalled so hopefully broken knuckles won't be a problem. Anyone else running the XL axles with offset wheels? Anyone have any pics of how wide the truck is with this combo and what affect there is on handling?

Can anyone help with my questions. I'm in the middle of my build now and was wondering if the stock 5.9 16 tooth bell would work with a 47 tooth spur. It seems to fit in the truck ok but haven't tried to run it yet. Anyone running this?

I have an XL and I will be running the maximizer beadlocks. The XL already is 1/2 offset with the stock set up. Not sure how the extra offset will work but I guess I will find out soon. With the 5,9 and the stock gearing I had not problem popping wheelies but I have since gone to an OS engine with 47/16 gearing. Have not fired it up yet as I am just about completed with my rebuild. I'm pretty sure that that gearing will work with the 5.9 but could not tell you how it performed. I just found that the 5.9 mill was all bottom end and really lacked top end. Hope this helps a bit.

I have had some issues with my 5.9 but have found the opposite with mine, I can't lean the LSN enough to get good wheelies without the motor wanting to stall when coming down to idle (starving for fuel I guess) from higher revs but it screams on the top end when i richen the LSN up a bit to get rid of the stalling.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back