savage xl 5.9 differential up grade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowfishing101

Just wondering if anyone has tried the hot racing hpi savage x/xl hardened steel diff ring / pinion gear hsf299x vs the bulletproof machined ring/pinion for durability and strength?

Attachments

• hsf299x-41402498010_0.jpg
    hsf299x-41402498010_0.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 1
I've heard the bevel gear is thinner than the HPI BP one. I don't know of anyone actually testing them but I've seen most people buy them and then just toss them in their spare parts bin for a backup. BTW, I know everywhere is sold out of HPI 102692 but HPI UK just told me they should have some on the shelf in 3 weeks. I'll believe it when I see it. Their support is horrible these days.

Seriously, what's the deal with lack of availability of parts. I need the differential bevel gear, and can't find anything. Does HPI not want us to bash? I'm getting sick of always struggling to find parts.

Setup a filter/search on ebay like:
hpi savage (9 tooth,9t,29 tooth,29t) (diff,differential,diffs,differentials)

Then have it setup to email you every day. That's what I use.

Ya. that's exactly what I did, and just bought one the other day... When you can find specific parts, they seem to cost a bit more then they used to...

What about aluminum bulkheads? I found all kinds of old links on this forum, but I can't seem to find any that is currently available. Some of my screw holes are getting a little slopping from so much repair/maintenance. I think aluminum would be a bit more ridged then composite, and hopefully keep the gears lined up better.

Any ideas?

FLM made some I think. There weren't many that were made to mimic the newer style case/bulkheads, only the older ones. The problem with trying to replace them with "older" alloy ones is that the larger super HD drive cups won't fit through the output holes. I found that out the hard way and had to tear the diffs down and replace the output cups with my old ones. Granted, at the time, I was buying XL/octane diffs for my older style savage that had the pre-X bulk/diff cases, so it wasn't that big of an issue.

The newer style ones split the case front-to-back so the diff is inserted into the back of the case without having the oversized cup issue.

I know I ran across some that were designed like that and were alloy, but it's been a while. Honestly, I haven't had much issue with the X-style cases. They seem to have less flex than the originals. I still add more shims to the diff so the mesh is a bit closer than in stock form. The only issues I have are the smaller 11/16 bearing going out periodically. Would have been nice if HPI had put the diff cups on using a set screw so you could more easily service the bearings and shim them vs having to tear the diff apart.

Latest posts

Members online

Back