savage x

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbd

hello prob 20 years ago i got a savage 25 rtr and remember someone on a forum saying to take off backplate and seal engine b4 u break it in . fast forward 20 years later and i just got a savage x 4.6, do you recommend that you should seal the engine even thou its a ready to run? good idea or bad ?

There will likely be a bit of debate on this between people. I'm of the opinion that it is always an easy bit of insurance to seal the engine. That, as well as putting some green slime on the o-rings, loctite on the screws into metal and generally going through the engine to make sure there isn't any debris, will help make sure your engine performs better and lasts longer.

I have always sealed every new engine I buy, even though some say it isn't necessary. I clean them out, lube the internals with ARO, RTV the backplate/carb neck and inspect the o-rings on everything including both the HSN and LSN. With the HSN/LSN, I put green slime on them as they dry out if you end up putting them on the shelf for a while. The slime helps keep them soft.

I do it for pretty much all the reasons @X mentioned.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back