savage x with lrp pullstarter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bone

hello everyone.. i have a lrp .30 engine on my savage x and I'm having issues with the pullstarter..i tried to locate a new one but not having any luck...does anyone know of another brand starter that will work with the lrp engines

What's your issue with the starter? Not grabbing when trying to start, not returning the string back? How old is it? How long did it sit since you last used it?

i have about 2 gallons of fuel ran through this motor and i took the starter off to clean the one way bearing,,the spring came out of the starter and i finally got it back together and put it back on,,and it worked for one run then i tried to start it again and the rope just came out and didnt retract,,so i had to take it all off again and i had to bend the end of the spring to get it to catch on the pulley...cant figure out how it straightened out,,,i have it back on and ran one tank and all seemed good ...but now I'm just waiting for it to happen again

I've had that happen, but the end broke off where it hooked. Sorry, I don't know other starters that are a direct fit. Have a few LRP's as well. I never had much issue with the starter or OWB on them, other than breaking the string, then I had to make a new knot and rewind it like you did.

Check out my build thread. I had the same problem and was able to locate a SH back plate and pullstart that fit the Lrp block perfectly.

thats a nice truck...did you have to replace the back engine plate to make the pull starter work

Thanks and yes backplate had to be changed also.

This is what all I bought. The thrust shaft was ordered by mistake and not needed

Yes the pull start is a direct fit. The backplate is slightly smaller in diameter as shown in my build thread but after a gallon of fuel it’s working great. As long as a little gasket maker is used to seal everything up nicely. ??

Thank you for this info man. I just made an account here since it’s been one of the only places to find info on LRP friendly parts. Long story short, I just started messing with my savage after a few years off and the knot on the pull starter finally failed, allowing me to experience the near impossible coil rewrapping. Just ordered the SH 28 pull starter when I saw it was a direct bolt on to your LRP.
Yes the pull start is a direct fit. The backplate is slightly smaller in diameter as shown in my build thread but after a gallon of fuel it’s working great. As long as a little gasket maker is used to seal everything up nicely. ??

Good deal ??. I’ve found a lot of good info and help here.
No doubt. There’s literally no other options that directly fit to my knowledge other than the SH.28 or obviously LRPs version. Went 5 years no issues with pull starts. First the knot breaks and the cord goes into the backplate. Finish re doing the handle, go to put it on and the coil spring pops out. After hours of trying, I’m done messing with it. If by some chance this one doesn’t fit right on, I guess I’ll have to take my chances with a tigerdrive.

There actually may be some other options. I quit searching when I found SH would fit. I’m going to look again soon when I have time. To update that mod.....I’ve recently converted to a roto start and the SH one way bearing is not happy. Lasted about 5 tanks and rarely catches now. I have a new one on the bench waiting to be installed. I’m thinking with as many manufacturers as there are using the same block specs that I can find a better made setup or at least a better owb. What is tigerdrive?

There actually may be some other options. I quit searching when I found SH would fit. I’m going to look again soon when I have time. To update that mod.....I’ve recently converted to a roto start and the SH one way bearing is not happy. Lasted about 5 tanks and rarely catches now. I have a new one on the bench waiting to be installed. I’m thinking with as many manufacturers as there are using the same block specs that I can find a better made setup or at least a better owb. What is tigerdrive?
Yeh when I saw the LRP pull starter and the SH28 one they looked identical. I already had the lrp pull start, so the 12mm fitment was the deal sealer. I’m gonna order like 5 more SH ones just because this has been such a nightmare. First time ripping the car in years and I get a few tanks of enjoyment. The tigerdrive is another inline roto type starter. I hear you need to modify savages to work with them,but can’t find any info on what specifically I have to mod. I believe it’s shock towers. http://sullivanproducts.com/product/tigerdrive-inline-versions/

Thanks for the link. Worth checking out in case this sh owb becomes a recurring issue. Although it likely fairs much better with a pullstart.

No problem man. Your thread saved me from ripping my hair out with the coil spring. I believe os.30 motor parts are compatible too so I hear. I bet you could find an lrp owb. Mine has held up to a lot of abuse and we know it’s similar enough to work with the SH pull starter.

I actually have a new Lrp owb on the bench so I’ll be trying it out as soon as I get time to install. If you do go with the OS starter parts I’d be real curious how they fit as compared to the SH stuff.

I actually have a new Lrp owb on the bench so I’ll be trying it out as soon as I get time to install. If you do go with the OS starter parts I’d be real curious how they fit as compared to the SH stuff.
Same I have heard it’s direct plug and play. I’m just praying my existing LRP owb fits well enough to start it again using the SH pull starter. It looks identical to the lrp one so it should. Also bummed I missed the lrp.32X sale. I just found your backplate thread as they sold out lol. I love the .30, but the .32 has been a motor I’ve wanted to run since I got the .30. This is the OS.30 backplate. @Sparky is running it on a lrp.30 I believe.
1593124920584.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back