Savage X Tranny lube and no shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neotox

I recently bought a Savage X 4.6 and have ran about a gallon of fuel in it and got it tuned pretty good now and went out a couple days ago running it in a snow covered parking lot trying to get it to shift. I ran it several times (3-4) at full throttle for about 50-75 yard run and at the end of the last run after I got off the throttle the spur gear blew. I never have been able to hear it shift though. All video's I have watched there is a definite sound when shifting. No mine. It just never shifts. I have went through the adjustment phase through the hole with no effect. 1/2 turn in both directions no shift. When the spur blew up I popped the top on the tranny and this is what I saw from the factory. GOBBS of grease. Thought...dang that is why it probably isn't shifting because all the grease has things stuck and gobbed together. After reading a bit on the net about tranny lube i found that most say to not lube the tranny. Also...the screw holding the bell on was only finger tight. Had backed off possibly causing the spur to blow. Possibly a mesh issue as well. Any thoughts?

20160122_172053.jpg

1/2 turn is TOO much, those shift screws are very short and fairly fine threaded so make smaller adjustments like 1/8 turn either way, somewhere in the manual I believe there are instructions on setting the shift points and where to start at.... as for greasing i use a light coat of white grease on my tranny gears and have had no problems with shifting ever...

any more than that is a bit of overkill because CF will just throw it off and make a mess....

Yea I agree the 1/2 turn is to much...I was turning a bit in between thought...not just 1/2 all at once. I read on here that there should be no lube in the tranny. Are we talking about the same tranny or the tranny for a Savage 25 or whatever?

in my experience all gears need lube no matter where and what they are used on, but thats just the mechanic in me speaking, how many full size vehicles use no lube in their transmissions or differentials, I can tell you there are none...... the only place i do not use lube on my RC vehicle gears is on a pinion and spur that is exposed to the elements for obvious reasons, otherwise everything gets a light coat of lube...

I totally agree that there should be lube on the gears of some kind...the mechanic in me too! LOL Just don't think that the amount that was in my case was a good thing. It was very stiff grease and way to much in my opinion. Still think that had something to do with the shift issue. Something was gobbed up not letting it shift like it should. I washed out the tranny and got all the grease out of it and will put a small amount on the gears if I go back with this tranny. I did order the 3 speed tranny and will have it tuesday. Also ordered a metal spur gear and racing bell. It just puzzles me as to why the spur gear blew when I backed off the throttle to turn around. It was running like a scalded ape on the flat dead run (at least 45-50 mph). Got a feeling the mesh was off or something. Clutch bell was a little hot....don't think it melted the spur but maybe. Thinking about just putting the 2 speed back together with less grease LOL and the metal spur and seeing what happens before I swap out to the 3 speed.

Also ordered a metal spur gear and racing bell. It just puzzles me as to why the spur gear blew when I backed off the throttle to turn around.

well think what plastic becomes when it is warmed up, it will deform and when under or released from a heavy load something will let go and the hot plastic gear will always be the one to lose, going to the Robinson extra hard spur and bell combo is a good choice and the gears will outlast plastic against steel 100 to 1

If u open the lil rubber on your tranny it will have a screw i used a t8 to turn it I'm not sure which way to turn it but ur shift time may messed up if not i have no idea after that but i did have that problem on my 4.6

[QUOTEi have a tendency to t"SAVAGE CABBAGE, post: 191599, member: 10070"]If u open the lil rubber on your tranny it will have a screw i used a t8 to turn it I'm not sure which way to turn it but ur shift time may messed up if not i have no idea after that but i did have that problem on my 4.6[/QUOTE]
Sorry I I never read the full post lol

My tranny has loads of grease in it too and also wasn't shifting gear today . Seeing as I've stripped another spur gear I'm going to clean it all out and put a light coat of white grease on it. I have two more standard Spurs. Once they go in going to look at upgrading.

I think they just put to much grease in the tranny from the factory. I will clean the new 3 speed out if they gobbed it like the 2 speed. When shifting correctly you can definitely hear the shift francis so yours may not be shifting either.

I do belive it is best to have a very very light coat of grass in the trans but not much at all
Yes, indeed. It gives all the gears a nice green tint. :)
I agree with a LITTLE grease in there but only on the teeth of the gears. I'm almost thinking your trans was stuck in 2nd gear rather than 1st since you were able to reach such a high speed. Not getting 1st gear will also overheat the CB.
The shift point should be adjusted in SMALL increments. When you insert the Allen key, think of the shift point as a clock and you are now at noon. Don't adjust it more than 1 hour at a time without test running it. If you move it from noon to one, it will shift later. If you turn from noon to eleven, it will be earlier, just like a clock.
It changes the spring tension on the pawl that flips out to engage the next gear when it's up to proper RPM, or the shift point you want for your gear ratio. Here's a pic with the pawl extended:
shift_2.jpg

I have a new x to with 1qt ran in it so far. I too have yet to hear mine shift. I looked in the gearbox today and has a good bit of grease but I assume that's fine. Mine spins all 4 tires on concrete and gets pretty fast then motor cuts out a little and I back off. Not on topic but since I'm typing, sent wife to get fuel and batt pack today. She came home with gallon of rtr O'Donnell 30%. Is that ok to run? Told her to take a old charger of mine in and see if battery would fit. Well he sold her a 1600 NiMH and charger says clearly ni cd. Will all this work?

Well 30% burns a bit hotter due to the more nitro content, you may have to retune a bit to use it, I use 20% exclusively on all my nitro rigs... as for the battery pack and charger I would take it to the shop or call and see if there was a mistake made, I use NiMH packs in my rigs and am not sure on the specifics of the charger you have, if it is a plug in wall wart type it will most likely be ok because it charges at a slow rate, usually 1 amp or less....

Well 30% burns a bit hotter due to the more nitro content, you may have to retune a bit to use it, I use 20% exclusively on all my nitro rigs... as for the battery pack and charger I would take it to the shop or call and see if there was a mistake made, I use NiMH packs in my rigs and am not sure on the specifics of the charger you have, if it is a plug in wall wart type it will most likely be ok because it charges at a slow rate, usually 1 amp or less....
Ok, will have to be careful on the tune. I hit 250 today on last tank of traxxas fuel. I read nicd charger charges faster than nicd and don't recommend but didn't know if was that big of a deal. Which batt is it that u need to change servo to use?

A new truck will not shift for a while.
I've read this thread a few times, still can't hear mine shift either. I have adjusted on it alot both ways. Truck is only a week old but have about 1 gallon through it. I keep thinking about what you said. It will not shift for a while. Why?

The tranmission shifts based on RPM. It wont shift until the engine can pull the RPM to do it during break in and you tune it some. Most of the time I cant hear mine shift but I know it is due to the speed it makes.

Latest posts

Members online

Back