Savage X to XL or XXL Flux Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viper238

Hey all, I’ve been an on and off lurker.
I’ve had my Savage X4.1 for 15yrs now. It’s had a few upgrades in the past 5.9 aluminum diff cups, 3spd trans. Servos.

It’s been sitting in the basement for many years. I got it out a couple years ago but the engine wouldn’t stay running and I ruined the pull start so back it went to storage.

My oldest is getting more interested in RCs. We have 3 Traxxas electrics.

Well I’ve thinking of pulling the beast back out and giving it a rebuild/ refresh.
I’ve done some searching but some stuff threads are 10yrs old and links don’t work.

I’m thinking XL Flux or XXL Flux (if it’s still a thing) conversion.

Is there still conversion parts out there?
Is there a kit or is this something that has to be pieced together?

What do I have that is usable?
I see v1 and v2 TVPs? What the difference? Will either work?

I'm in Canada and seems parts are limited. Half the Hobby shops I used to frequent have since closed up.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

What do you plan to do with it, run it on grass? jumps? asphalt? What is your driving style, aggressive, or more laid back? Post some pictures of your savage, so we can have a better idea of what you have

Go to YouTube and search for Savage, Should find several different versions with running footage. Lots of parts available in US. Getting them to Canada is a challege and can be very expensive with the latest postage changes. Suggest Aliexpress. Dig around and will find lots of parts. Maybe easier and cheaper to get stuff from them. You will need to do some checking. My suggest is to convert to electric with a center diff. The performance will blow you away. Still fine tuning my conversion as too motor to work with center diff and not overheat. Needing better weather. Also search on here for a lot of information on conversions and updates. Do your home work, fun part of hobby, then you will know what you want to do. Center diff conversion good thing to search for. Tons of information on this forum. Can search with my handle and see what I built. Really good and skilled people on here to help.

What do you plan to do with it, run it on grass? jumps? asphalt? What is your driving style, aggressive, or more laid back? Post some pictures of your savage, so we can have a better idea of what you have
couple photos

IMG_2309.jpegIMG_2307.jpegIMG_2308.jpeg

Grass, dirt, gravel, jumps. My son wants to go to a skate park this year with the RCs.

You have this post on the forum, it's not how I would do it, but it's a cheaper way: https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/hpi-savage-x-4-6-nitro-conversion-to-brushless.20448/

If you want to do jumps with it, a center diff is a must-do upgrade. For that you have the Alza Racing center diff kit or the Draco center diff kit, I would go with the Alza one, I have one installed in my car, and I'm doing another savage build with another Alza kit, very good stuff.
To install this kit you need to buy a separate center diff, i recommend this one from Arrma - ARA311118

To handle the brushless power, you should upgrade your diffs with the #102692 machined bulletproof diff bevel gear 29t/9t set (If you haven't already)

Rear aluminum hubs it's also a good idea.

To old the batteries you can buy the #100908 BATTERY BOX SET (RIGHT/LEFT) or the new boxes from the v2 Flux, there's also the possibility of running a single LiPo inside the TVP's, but it's a tight fit...

Then you need to choose the ESC/Motor, to start the Hobbywing max 8 combo is a good choice. You can run between a 13t or 14t pinion with this combo in 4S, if you want to go 6S 12t or 13t is a good choice to avoid too much overheating.

Jennys RC is a good place to buy cheap Savage stuff.

Below are two videos I made with the center diff conversion, one with the Hobbywing max 8 combo and the other one with the Castle MMX 8S and a 1650KV motor,

You have this post on the forum, it's not how I would do it, but it's a cheaper way: https://www.hpisavageforum.com/threads/hpi-savage-x-4-6-nitro-conversion-to-brushless.20448/

If you want to do jumps with it, a center diff is a must-do upgrade. For that you have the Alza Racing center diff kit or the Draco center diff kit, I would go with the Alza one, I have one installed in my car, and I'm doing another savage build with another Alza kit, very good stuff.
To install this kit you need to buy a separate center diff, i recommend this one from Arrma - ARA311118

To handle the brushless power, you should upgrade your diffs with the #102692 machined bulletproof diff bevel gear 29t/9t set (If you haven't already)

Rear aluminum hubs it's also a good idea.

To old the batteries you can buy the #100908 BATTERY BOX SET (RIGHT/LEFT) or the new boxes from the v2 Flux, there's also the possibility of running a single LiPo inside the TVP's, but it's a tight fit...

Then you need to choose the ESC/Motor, to start the Hobbywing max 8 combo is a good choice. You can run between a 13t or 14t pinion with this combo in 4S, if you want to go 6S 12t or 13t is a good choice to avoid too much overheating.

Jennys RC is a good place to buy cheap Savage stuff.

Below are two videos I made with the center diff conversion, one with the Hobbywing max 8 combo and the other one with the Castle MMX 8S and a 1650KV motor,

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.
I will check out the videos later.

Go back to the single stock shocks. Seems the consensus is that they are the best. Don't be afraid to drill holes in the side plates as needed. Get the XL side plates, they are a must. Listen to Mvtepixels watch his videos. He is the one to convince me to go center diff. I updated as much as I could using parts from Jenny's. Servo/radio box, battery boxes and center body support. Of course you will need the wider axles/hub set up as well. Really fun project. One not to get in a hurry with. Takes research and sourcing parts. I really like the v2 battery boxes. If you get the correct center diff kit, it will have the correct longer front dog bone. This build was the most FUN and most challenge I have done. You can get the XL bodies now from several sources. You will have an incredible skate park beast when done.

Last edited:
Totally subscribe what @Sandblaster said👍

Yesterday was in a hurry and completely forgot some stuff: getting the XL chassis is probably needed, I'm not sure if the chassis you have will handle the jumps, and also there's the dogbone size situation... You have a few options, Alza sells a good one, the V2 XL Flux one, and the GTXL-1 option, I have the GTXL-1 chassis, Jennys sells it for 20$, but originally the right plate is different from the left one, one is stronger than the other, so you need to buy two sets of chassis to make things work, the plus side is you keep two plates to do another built if you want.

GTXL-1 chassis:
20230311_111646.jpg

What the Alza center diff kit looks like with the diff in it:
20230311_111413.jpg

The HPI-160141 Savage XL 17mm Hex Hub Conversion Set with aluminum rear hub:
20230311_111325.jpg

Thanks guys,

I’ve also been reading. If I go center diff conversion, I don’t need the flux motor mount or the flux gearbox/transmission ?

Yes, that way you don't need the motor mount or the flux gearbox, the only disadvantage of the Alza kit is just holding the motor in the front, the back of the motor doesn't have any support, for small jumps it's fine, but for bigger jumps and skatepark stuff it's better to do a motor brace, like this one:

20230311_124008.jpg

This was hand-made with 8x8mm aluminum bar

for.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Back