Savage X SS Axle play?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heshup

This has been bothering me since I put the tires on. I have about .90mm give or take a few play in my axles. After I mounted the tires I saw that I could move them in and out. When looking as to why this is going on I see that the axles have that much play. The play is between the pin and the bearing

Is this the norm or can I do something about that? shims?

Thanks.

I hope people here don't get tired of me asking so many questions. :newb: here but learning and have had a blast putting this MT together.

there is one thing u could do get some rubber washers about the same size of your dogbone head and put them in your cups mine have a little play also Its really not that big of a deal (they should move alittle)

there is one thing u could do get some rubber washers about the same size of your dogbone head and put them in your cups mine have a little play also Its really not that big of a deal (they should move alittle)

I used the o-rings on the dogbones that went into the cup joints on the differential per say the manual and they still be a good bit of play on the dogbones, but I can see that would be ok. One would not want that to be slack free. This play is coming from the axle between the pins and bearings were the hex wheel hubs fits before the wheels goes on.

I know your talking about thoes Stone u could still do the same thing thoes dogbones (couln't you ?) I haven't done it tho

I know your talking about thoes Stone u could still do the same thing thoes dogbones (couln't you ?) I haven't done it tho

I figure you might do that, but I feel you would be taking the slack out of the dogbones that may be needed. I don't know if one could get away with a no slack in the dogbone. I don't think so.

I think I am going to try some shims on the axle to take up the slack. Could put the shims behind the outer bearings. I am thinking in terms for a car you would drive, if the wheels had this much play it would not handle right.

I just checked mine and I have the same play I wouln't worry about bud I have had my savage like over a year now (its a monster truck not a touring car ya know)

thats supposed to be like that

the play between the pin and hub is not there when the wheels are on, as you tighten the wheel nut, it squeezes the wheel, and in turn the 17mm hub over the pin and onto the axle hub. remember you don't want anything touching there as it will wear out as the wheel turns, and also, it will act as a brake if its too tight! causing things to wear out elswhere like in the diffs maybe. the pin is there not to hold the axle in place.. the axle cant fall out if the dogbone is in! the pin is there to provide a positive drive point for the 17 mm hub.

no for the play in the cup of the axle where the dogbone sits, i use fuel line. cut about 3 mm of fuel line so its a little short tube and insert that into the cups of both the axle hub and the diff hub. the tube is springy enough to hold the dogbone from sliding, but felxible enough to compress when the suspension compresses. remember when the suspension travels up, the gaps between the dogbones and axle hubs is shortened by the radial arc of movement.

hope that helps !

adam

i checked my ss x and i'm tight on the hub. did the inner bearing seat right on the axle carrier? after putting the wheel on is there still play? it sounds like a bearing either inner or outer isn't right if i'm reading the problem right. i have just enough room to get the pin threw the axle to put the wheel hubs on.

I took everything a part and all looks good as far as the right parts and using all the parts.

megabyteme yes the bearing did seat right the first time. I made sure of that.

Upon checking the specs on the axles I think I found the problem. The axle should be 8X9X44mm and mine are 8X9X45 and that would be the .94mm give or take a few on the play I have.

In short of having HPI send me new ones, I think some shims behind the bearings will fix this.

Any input on this?

Thanks adamskii and megabyteme for checking on this for me.

BTW adamskii thanks for the info on the dogbones and the gas line fix.

Latest posts

Members online

Back