Savage x resto project ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antndrew78

Ok guys I have a Savage x I picked up in a lot it’s in really bad shape tore all the way down and a lot of stuff is either very worn or broke the rear diff was shot bearings wear shot and the ring gear the one that meshes it with the pinion has some bad teeth my question is I have a pair of diffs and pinion from a 25 that are in good shape with matching pinions I know these would be a down grade but could use them in an x until I get some new x diffs later ?

Yes in most situations they will work, have you checked E bay for Savage parts I could swear I saw some for not bad prices the other day while rooting around.....One thing to keep in mind is keeping both ends with the same gearing inside so you don't overdrive one end or the other

Yes I have the matching set front and rear the good news is when I fitted them in the case they were nice and tight so no need for shimming them

Another question I have is before I put these diffs in service I would like to brake them down and clean them did the 21 25 diffs use grease or diff oil from the factory and where can I buy just the gaskets without the cups ?

are your diff cups alloy or plastic? the plastics barely take anything before the start warping and not holding a mesh as for what to put in the diff case I just use a heavy red chassis grease inside mine and apply a light coat of lithium grease to the ring gears outside.... if you are using grease in the differential you can get by with no gasket, parts are out there on e bay, amazon, but most of the big parts houses A Main, RC Planet, Tower and others show out of stock on many items but parts should be trickling in as they begin to ramp up supplies again......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6PCS-86099...052071?hash=item3f85485e27:g:aOsAAOSweAVZntvr

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...al.TRS0&_nkw=HPI+SAVAGE+differential&_sacat=0

The X diff case halves are stiffer than the old pre-x diffs. When I had an old 21 savage, I had upgraded the case halves to alloy as well as the cups on the diffs themselves. They held up fine with the alloy cases and proper shimming. The X-diffs held up ok too, they came with machined 13/43 gears and alloy diff cup vs a sintered ring gear and plastic diff cup the older rigs had. That was before BP diffs existed. When they did die on me though, I upgraded to BP diffs in it. Can't recall if I got sintered or machined, but either way, that was many years ago and they are still running fine.

With savage diffs, you have to keep an eye on the bearings. They use too small of a bearing on one side that tends to blowout over time and if you catch it before you rip it, you can usually avoid blowing properly shimmed diffs. This goes for the BP diffs or old diffs. They both use the same small/thin bearing on the cup side.

Yeah, but be careful with removing them so you don't destroy the gaskets. You need the gasket in there or the spider gear mesh will be too tight.

Ok so I opened them up and to my surprise there was no gasket so someone at one point opened these and didn’t use a gasket now I also found was the spider gear set in these but the manual only shows the 2 gears not 4 am I missing something hear any info would be great thanks

2 spider diffs are early 21/25 diffs, not nearly as good as the 4 spider diffs so running these hard they won't last too long at all....
Good news is there are several built alloy case diffs on e bay and they are not too costly so that is always another way to go and they will go right into any savage bulkhead....just make sure to get the 43 tooth ring gear types so they will mesh right with your existing pinion gear.....

if you search HPI Savage on E bay it will come up with the gaskets you need along with most savage related items....

scroll back up to my post and click the 1st link those are what you are needing

Does anyone know if the hellfire diffs where the same size they have gaskets for a hellfire that are the same as factory thickness on eBay and there in the us

Like I said above, parts are HARD to come by lately, I think the HellFire diffs are the same but not positive....

Latest posts

Members online

Back