Savage X REFUSES to start....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BADHD

I recently sold a SAVAGE X to my brother that I had bought off a friend. My friend had problems starting it while trying to break it in he told me. I never tried to start it, I just turned around and resold it cause I didnt need it. Now my brother has the same problems.

It takes 15-20 minutes to start, then it runs like a DREAM once its started. If you run it out of fuel, you cannot get it to restart at all. So, what could be the problem? The truck is basically new, no more than 6 tanks ran through it yet. Its hard to start initially and then doesn not start after warmed up. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!

If its brand new try heating it up with a blow dryer for a few minutes before you start it, that should loosen the pinch. Also you may have to turn the high speed needle a 1/4 turn or two clockwise so the engine isn't running really fat. This may help when its warmed up.

Can you be more specific on how it runs (when it ACTUALLY runs)? It may help us better diagnose the hard starting condition.

Firstly, remove the glow plug and check it for proper operation - it sounds as though it may be bad...

Secondly, what are you using to start it with? Rotostart?

Its not brand new. It has went through break in. It has been this hard to start since new though. It runs GREAT once it finally starts.

I have tried 3 plugs now. All are fine, all glow bright orange.

I am using a cordless drill to start it.

I am using a cordless drill to start it.

I would bet money we have just solved your problem!

Nearly ALL cordless drills lack sufficient RPM to fire a new motor. I had the very same problem with my truck, but now after nearly 3 gallons through it, the cordless will work.... sometimes.

Either get a roto-start, or a corded drill with a clutch (turned down to the lowest setting). You will be amazed at how much difference an extra couple hundred RPM makes in starting your truck!

Let us know if that still doesn't solve your problem - but I'm guessin' it will.

-Moto

I would bet money we have just solved your problem!

Nearly ALL cordless drills lack sufficient RPM to fire a new motor. I had the very same problem with my truck, but now after nearly 3 gallons through it, the cordless will work.... sometimes.

Either get a roto-start, or a corded drill with a clutch (turned down to the lowest setting). You will be amazed at how much difference an extra couple hundred RPM makes in starting your truck!

Let us know if that still doesn't solve your problem - but I'm guessin' it will.

-Moto

I hope your right. I would be ticked and delighted at the same time if that is all it turns out to be. I will give it a try. Thanks.

BINGO!!! Got the roto start in this past week, tried it and it fired up in a matter of seconds!!

good for you,its amazing what happens when you have the power...example: my roto start had a 3000 mah batery and it worked fine ,so i put it in my sure start and it would last for nuttin trying to start the 457.now i have a 4000 or 4600 (some where around that) and it starts all of my motors with now effort....so glad you got it figured out.

BINGO!!! Got the roto start in this past week, tried it and it fired up in a matter of seconds!!

I'm glad it worked for ya fella! I was about to throw my brandy newbie truck in the trash before I got that figured out!

Yup, glad you got the problem solved. I notice I cant even get my Savage started with a drill after 5+ gallons. I have to use the rotostart.

Members online

No members online now.
Back