Savage x Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedster

Can any body tell me how far my Shiny new savage x will go before it gets out of range.Also what will happen if the transmitter dies while it is running, or if the reciever batteries die. I am very concerned because my friend has a savage 25 and he went to far lost it and it went full speed until it hit something hard enough to stop it.
Thanks...

I moved this to the right forum. You had it in the completely wrong forum. Stadium trucks?

It depends on all the electronics you use. But if you are using the stock radio, servos, etc. it will go pretty far. If it does get out of range it will run away unless you get a failsafe. The batteries won't die when you're using it because you will tell when it starts to die because it will respond slow and not work properly. The best you can do if your afraid your truck is going to run away is get a failsafe.

ok... i couldn't figure out how to put this isn the other forum , i was having momentary lapses in judgment srry. If yhe transmiter dies do i still loost the truck?

I'm pretty sure it will just keep rolling until it stops, it's not gonna run away though. Cause just thing of starting the truck without the truck or radio on....it doesn't run away you just can't control it. So I'm pretty sure it will just run out of speed and stop since you're not giving it gas. But this probably won't happen 'cause you can tell when the batteries are going.

some experience i have...

transmitter dies.. car will keep doing whatever it was doing last moment before tx was lost... usually throttle on and away she goes..... have had a moment of idiocy where i decided changing my crystal into another controller was a good idea (?) without turning car off... as soon as that crystal left the tx... savvy took off like a rocket.. and me trying to catch it as it launched across the oval.. i don't run 50 - 60 kmph... but that day i bet i got close !

If the batteries in the RX go flat, thats usaually slower, and, you will notice loss of performance in turning especially. wont be enough power to drive servo that turns those big heavy tyres. throttle servo is lightweight and needs less power so that performance is not noticeable. if they go flat in RX ( receiver), not much danger there as its gradual not instant. however if battery becomes unplugged for some reason , like from a hard landing, the car will do whatever it was doing when it last had power.. so if throttle was on, it will stay throttled on!

buy a failsafe if your that concerned... although they no good for battery disconnects.

range for savvy x... mine is about 200m tested so far. thats at least the distance from one side of aussie rules footy oval to other. and i had control.. little sucker was very small that far away tho. do a range check.. turn car electrics on.. walk away from car with controller turning steering wheel left n right. do this until the wheels stop turning.. u sorta need someone to watch the car tho coz u wont see them from 200m ! who knows how far range is.

reducing length of antennae.. folding or rolling antenna etc reduce range.

hope this helps !@

adam;)

Only, to do the range check, you can just turn on the truck and radio, not the engine and do it. That way it's safe and the truck won't take off or anything.

about the savvy running away when receiver battery is disconncts after a hard landing or something.. maybe its a good idea to put a real stiff spring on the carburater..that close the card when theres no power on the servo anymore
and about servo's getting weaker because of a almost empty battery...if you buy a hump pack they will give full performance till the end..zo iff the battery is almost empty you wont notice anything.. but when its completly emty your servo will go for full power to zero power.. thats why a failsafe is indeed pretty handy in these occations.. but most new and modern transmitter sets have build in failsafe's..

the fail safe will appley brakes when you get interferrance in your transmitting signal or when the battery's are emty....oww and by the way its pretty important that you make sure that all of your electronincs are secured properly... it must be inpossible for them to go lose out of them zelves..

you can't really massure the range of your savvy .. cus ervery time you are driving somewhere els there are different things to interferrance with your signal.. like trees, cars, cellphones..etz.... zo don;t bother to try how far you can go.. and besides that.. its no fun to drive your savvy on a range of 200meters.... at least.. thats my opinion

my failsafe engages when the receiver batt gets too low or when the receiver loses signal( radio batt low or running out of range ).

most radiosets with integrated failsaves are PCM transmitters and they are quite expensive.
I got a programmable 3ch radio myself, not a PCM but a normal 40 Mhz radio with a computer:
www.shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=3117
I got a T2m failsafe by the way.
I don`t know what will happen if someone interferes with my frequency, I`m the only one running RC`s at 40 Mhz around here.
the few I know who are running RC`s are running at 27 Mhz.

be careful to tighten all wires and connectors properly cause no failsafe in the world will help you when you lose batt power because of a connector coming loose.

one more thing, when I made sure that everything was assembled properly I just tried my radio`s range by running the sav straight away from me and when it was only a little spot on the horizon it simply stopped, when I walked towards it for about 15 meter and gently applied the throttle it drove off again.
don`t try this unless you`re 110 % sure that all your sav`s electronics are functioning perfectly!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back