Savage X not wanting to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish4767

I recently bought a used Savage X with the F4.6. Seller said he had it running and it just needed to be tuned. It has a rotostart attachment that he said he used a drill to start. Well, none of my drills would get it to start so I made it simple and put a pull start on it. Now I cannot for the life of me get it to start. I set all needles to be flush with their housing (I think thats factory setting - if not please tell me!), glow plug looks good, and igniter is charged. I did notice it did not seem like fuel was passing through the line to the carb. I am trying to prime it with my finger over the exhaust. However, I cannot get anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Seller said he "never had issues" with it. Thanks!

That may have just been it! I got it started and tuned! Starts great now. Thanks. Been about 15 years since I’ve messed with these

That may have just been it! I got it started and tuned! Starts great now. Thanks. Been about 15 years since I’ve messed with these
Approximately in 2010 I bought a new engine, an HPI .36 big block, this was only used I could say 3 times maximum, since 2012 I have not used it and I would like to return to this magical hobby. I could say that this engine has not been turned on for approximately 10 years.

I need to know what I should know and do to restart an engine with so many years of NO use

Probably start with a complete dis-assembly and reseal. Also now would be a good time to replace the bearings. Boca has a reasonable set of ceramics.

I had the same issue with mine being laid up for over ten years, one thing I do remember doing was dropping some after run oil in before putting on shelf.
All I done with mine was again drop some after run oil in & crank over with roto start before fitting glow plug & fuel.
Took a while but engine did start & run a treat after,I would try this before going down road of stripping/replacing bearings just make sure fuel lines are in good condition with no gunk in there & fuel tank with clean air filter! 👍🏻

Cleaning out the mini carburetor did the trick for me. Old nitro became gunk from previous owner and now after the clean, the Savage is back in running.

Latest posts

Members online

Back