Savage X LRP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formiko

I am putting an LRP z.28r spec 3 in my savage x that is mostly stock. Along with the LRP I also installed a THS 8025 polished pipe and a 125cc OFNA tank. I also threw some FLM dogbones at it, since I was out of spares and the FLMs cost the same as stock HD bones.

I picked up the LRP from the local Hobby Town with the use of $30 worth of coupons. With the coupons I was able to get the LRP for $152 after tax. The only downside is I had to wait for the LRP to get off of back order. I waited a month, but hopefully it will be worth it.

While waiting for the LRP, I installed the ofna tank and the THS pipe on an old s-25 that my brother in law had lying around. With the ofna tank, the half tank lean crap was gone, which was nice. The THS pipe made the s-25 run pretty good for the slow dog that it is.

The other day I finally picked up the LRP and installed it in the savage. It is a sweet looking mill. I am using Nova clutch shoes with Mugen 1.0mm springs. This combo worked nicely on my F4.6 that I had, until the bearings decided to puke in it. It is all well and good since I am placing a newer faster mill in my savage. The gearing is going to remain stock for the time being (47/17).

I was going to break this beast in today, but it has been raining all day, and looks to do the same tomorrow. Hopefully I will get it broke in next Saturday, because I am bowling next Sunday. I plan on using breaking method in the manual, which is fire it up rich and let it idle for two minutes then driving easy for 4 tanks while staying below half throttle. I might do 5 tanks since my tank is smaller than the average tank. I will be running Odonnels 20% fuel, so far I like it over the Blue Thunder that I was running.

Installing the ofna tank was a piece of cake. I used a file to shave down the mounting tabs so they would be thin enough to use the small body clips to mount the tank to the stock mounts after turning the back mount around and drilling out the mount holes on the tank to fit the savage mounts. So far the tank is much better than the stock tank, I think I can live with the shorter run time, especially if it means no more half tank lean BS.

Sorry, I don't have any picks, but the savage is dirty and the way I like it. I can't stand a clean savage, they are meant to be dirty.

Good stuff bud! Keep us posted and don't be afraid to wear a rain coat.. the savage will be fine!

Sounds like a nice set up!
No shelf queens here , Pic's!
Keep us posted.
SL.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep your my kind of person!!! " love your savage dirty" keep us posted as to how your break in goes!!

I got 3 break in tanks ran today on the LRP, around football and going shopping. Man it is hard not to lean this sucker out. Even at half throttle and rich as all get out it wants to go. It is so hard to keep the throttle finger out of it. After a couple of more tanks I will start to lean this sucker out some.

The LRP started super easy. It was belching smoke like a 5 pack a day smoker. I can't wait until she is broken in and I can tune on it, I wan tto see how fast she will go.

Latest posts

Members online

Back