Savage X Hard to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage8parts

I have a Savage X 4.6 doesn't want to start but if I put blow dryer or something on the motor and warm it starts right up I checked the glow plug is good not sure what else it could be just bought it like a week ago and the motor was gummed up cuz it's at earlier I had to run in a while and ran it it runs good just don't want to start anybody have any ideas what it could be?

What's your ambient temp? I had issues with my LRP's not starting if they weren't above 60F or so. Anything below that and I'd pull and pull and pull. In the early spring/late fall, I'd put them on the floor of my 1:1 car with the heat blasting on the way to the bash area, then I'd get everything ready, the engine primed, then take it out of the car and fire it up.

I've started mine at below 0*C with no issues. But the glow plug has to get super bright, just a slight glow isn't good enough. Try setting carb needles back to factory settings (Flush).

I've started mine at below 0*C with no issues. But the glow plug has to get super bright, just a slight glow isn't good enough. Try setting carb needles back to factory settings (Flush).
I have with other engines, but not my LRP's. Don't know why, but they just won't fire for me when cold. My OS, Traxxas, HPI, Dynamite and Losi engines all didn't have much trouble.

make sure you're using a glow plug rated for the correct temps, if it's cold get a colder plug. Make sure your glow starter has a fresh battery or is fully charged. Make sure it's on long enough to heat it, but don't leave the glow starter on for minutes like some people do.

make sure you're using a glow plug rated for the correct temps, if it's cold get a colder plug.

That's not really how glow plugs work. The temp of the plug is relational to the nitro content of the fuel. High nitro=cooler plug, lower nitro=hotter plug.

Usually something like:
10-20% nitro - hot plug
25%-30% medium plug
30%+ cold plug

I run 25% and have good luck running medium temp plugs.

Last edited:
That's not really how glow plugs work. The temp of the plug is relational to the nitro content of the fuel. High nitro=cooler plug, lower nitro=hotter plug.

Usually something like:
10-20% nitro - hot plug
25%-30% medium plug
30%+ cold plug

I run 25% and have good luck running medium temp plugs.
I stand corrected. If the plug has a specified ambient temp range match that to your temp

Latest posts

Members online

Back