Savage X 4.6 diff maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nihal

Hi Guys,
I'm doing maintenance for the diffs for the first time and would like your recommendation on the diff oil use. I'm just a light basher.

oils are mostly for racing duties, I pack my diffs with tacky hi temp red grease.... one tube will last for hundreds of diff rebuilds and it works well.......

I use silicone diff fluid 3-5K in rear and 5-10k in front because I always have those weights on hand for tuning my buggy diffs. Grease gives diff action a little more free than 3K silicone give or take.

Thanks guys
And for the cleaning of the diffs, others then denatured alcohol what others can be used?

I use Dawn dish soap to clean gears, cases, etc. I also use it to clean air filters. It really does cut the grease and its mild and cheap.

I use Dawn dish soap to clean gears, cases, etc. I also use it to clean air filters. It really does cut the grease and its mild and cheap.
+1 to that. Soap and water with a toothbrush works the best, unless you don't mind using gasoline and an old paint brush. I hate the smell of gas and I doubt my wife would like me putting a small bucket of petro in the sink to do anything with. Apartment life is fun. lol

I run 50K in both the front/rear diffs on mine. As a basher, I like some power to get to all my tires even if I'm high centered on something. 50K doesn't lock the diff, but it does make for fairly strong positraction.

I also tend to use fairly high viscosity oil in both front and rear. Currently I`m running 60K in the rear and a mix of 30 and 60K in the front and I really like this setup.

Hi guys
The main reason for me to tear down the savage is that my truck became 2 wheel drive all of a sudden.
When I break only the back wheels lock up while the front was free. After investigation I realise that a lock nut is missing as seen in the pic. Now my question is why did it happen? Very sorry as I'm puzzled.

Attachments

• 20161108_235224.jpg
    20161108_235224.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 1
Sorry for the description,
Yes screw shaft, I did not know there were 2 sizes?? I looked at the manual and it says as 86094

Now my question is why did it happen? Very sorry as I'm puzzled.

Very common for those pins/ screws to come out. If there wasn't thread locker on them it only takes a little vibration to work their way out. Put some blue thread locker on it when you reinstall.

Thanks. Will do do
I got 1 more question
Currently I'm running on stock wheel hub which is 17mm hub with 8mm flange nut. I want to have 17mm nut. What must I get. Do I need to upgrade the axle as well or do I just get the 17mm hub with the nut.

Thanks Jam for the link. Able to get from LHS and fixed it up together with the diffs and shocks. Did a test run yesterday and it was great. But i found another issue after i took a tumble, I nearly lost 2 shock caps as they were out of place. How do you keep them in place?

Latest posts

Members online

Back