savage x 4.6 conversion to brushless help ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd

hi I have a savage x 4.6 and iv converted it with a home made motor mount and has a leopard hobby 2100kv motor with a 60a ESC only running 3s, but its quite slow is it because of the ESC? Also need help running with 47t spur and 17t pinion.. please help ..

it could defiantly be the esc....but it could also be the motor.....or both.

can you link us to the actual motor? you linked to an amazon search.

electronics are goofy animals. Couple things to check. Gear mesh; gearing; weight of truck in relation to the power plant; all your connections (soldered well with no cold solder joints), connectors themselves (BL systems require better connectors to handle the amperage flow..ie deans or trx) ; wheel hub binding (busted bearings or worn bushings), driveline binding; LiPo balance charged and putting out (in your case) 11.1 or better on a full charge.

You mentioned gearing. Is that what you are geared at now or considering? With gearing you need to take your wheel size into consideration also. Handy little tool.

What are your esc and motor temps after a run?

i would guess that its the esc. 60a is generally for 1/10 trucks. you need something that will handle the weight of the savage.

if the esc can handle 4s, then try that. ive never seen anyone run 3s on a savage.

thanks for the advice ,I'm running 17t pinion and 47t spur and it hits about 20- 25mph with the 2 speed the 3s LiPo I'm using is slighty puffed but still charges and runs fine (I have ordered a new 1 though). I don't have a temp gun but after a 20 min run the motor and esc are slightly warm to touch not hot .
how would I get abit more speed out of it without going 4s ?
cheers

For starters, stop using that slightly puffed LiPo. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Ever see a LiPo battery fire? Even charging that bugger is dangerous. I doubt with the condition of the battery it is able to deliver its rated punch. And I can't say enough...balance charge balance charge balance charge.

Gearing looks good..You could jump up a tooth on the pinion or a couple down on the spur...although changing the pinion will give a more significant effect. Just remember if you are going for a higher top speed you sacrifice your low end torque. As always, monitor your running temps. Too hot means it's working too hard and needs a gearing change.

RCnut suggested to esc and he may be partially correct. The lower amp rated esc are generally used on the 10 scale. However, with your temps being low it might be ok for the moment. If you want to run bigger gearing for top speed, you may need a bigger esc to play nice with the bigger gearing, something in the 90-120a range which is more for 8 scale.

Imagine this in your truck
granted you are not driving around with a nail in your pack.....but puffed lipos are not good.

i just cant see you getting much more speed out of the truck without either.....

1) getting a 90-150a esc like fixxer said
or
2) running 4s( if you even can with the esc u are using.

there's a reason you don't see people running 3s in a 1/8 truck. especially an 1/8 MT. 3s is for 1/10.

can you link us to the esc as well?

ok think il dispose of the puffed LiPo !.... I'm going to look for a bigger esc I think, could I use a sensored esc on my sensorless motor ? what esc would you suggest I use with my motor ? I'm planning on using 4s (2x 2s lipos) iv ordered a 3s LiPo already though, could I use a 3s with a 2s to run 5s maybe ?

the esc I have at the min is only 3s compatable, but I'm going to get a better esc lol I don't realy know much about brushless

Never ever mix cell counts. As far as what esc to use the possibilities are endless. I am a fan of Hobbywing stuff....some people may not so much but I have yet to have an issue. Their EZRun combo kits are pretty sweet. I have a 120A SC8 paired with an EZrun 4500kv 4 pole on a stampede and if it had wings.......well I would have an airplane.

Yes, you can use a sensored esc on an unsensored motor...You just won't get the benefits of sensor.

Anything from Castle Creations is a good choice also. Just read the specs to make sure it is 4s capable. My particular Hobbywing esc 120A WP is also 4s capable.

it might...I'm not sure. there's no specs on it at all.

I personally stay away from most china electronics. the cheapest I go is hobbywing.

and yes, you want to change to a single speed. that should have been done when u first went to electric. the sudden gear change can put too much stress on an electric motor.

have you got a link for the 120a esc your using ? would it run ok with my motor on 4s with the single speed fitted ? would I have to change pinion and spur gear when I put the single speed in ? sorry for all the questions I just don't want to buy all this and it still be slow lol

thanks for the help :)

it might...I'm not sure. there's no specs on it at all.

I personally stay away from most china electronics. the cheapest I go is hobbywing.

and yes, you want to change to a single speed. that should have been done when u first went to electric. the sudden gear change can put too much stress on an electric motor.

You are mistaken rcnut14, as all the electronics available are directly from china.....

Hobbywing as a matter of fact almost always ships only from china.

Todd, that esc seems to up to the task...go for it. As far as the combo I have the motor I have has a 2s limit...direct advise from both the manual and hobbywing support. The esc I have however, can handle 4s. If I wanna run 4s I would need a lower kv motor. But...in a 10 scale 2wd hcg MT I have in is plenty and hard to hang onto as is.

If you are interested in the esc I have you can search for Hobbywing SC8 WP 120.

Additionally..BL motors can take quite a pounding...I don't think the gear change rcnut14 suggested will cause any issues but I am not totally certain.

Look at it this way and base it on logic....you can change direction quickly from fwd to rvs w/o much issue so why would a 2nd gear cause problems? Especially in a fwd motion?

ok thanks..... I'm going to order the 120a esc and 2 2s lipos, iv just bought the flux idle gear and 2 battery trays from local model shop .
so hopefully no issues when the esc an batts come :)
thanks for all the help

hi again, iv bought the Turnigy Trackstar 150A GenII esc and it wont let me calibrate it ,, iv followed the instructions and it just beeps and flashes red ??? if I turn it on normal it just hits full throttle until I pull the batts out ,, but steering works

have fixed the issue by buying 2.4 radio, took it out for 1st run and after 10 mins the motor was very hot and I had a grinding noise
will upload pics and vids soon ,,,,, any help much appreciated :)

couple of pics of what ive got so far , the front diff bevel gear had worn so I'm using it 2wd at the moment

Hi,
Know this is a bit of an older thread, but did you design the motor mount yourself or did you find a guide online?
Looking at doing the same for my savage and my mamba monster brushless kit.

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm going to doubt he'll answer.

upload_2018-2-28_7-35-48.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back