Savage won't shift and wont roll backwards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaCkEdMaN

Ok guys i need some help I finished my break in on my axial .28 and i was leaning it out to see what i could get out of it and all i got was wheelies it's not really a bad thing but it won't hit second gear at all I tried to adjust the transmission but nuthin at all and now the truck only rolls forward and it locks if you push it backwards Any ideas

Also check the OWB on the middle shaft in the trans case. The one that holds the gears and clutches. I've heard they go bad sometimes. Also check to makes sure that the grub screw (set screw) that holds the clutch assembly is tightened all the way in and has lock-tite on it. That's the prob I just had with my savvy's 3-speed. I haven't been puttin any lock-tite on the screw with the pin that holds the 3rd gear clutch on the shaft along with the grub. Only reason I didn't is cuz I was working on gettin the 1-2 shift point set. After about 2 mon. of adjusting, it finally worked it's way lose for the first time and locked the tranny up. Just some other things to look into.

ok i will check the clutch but i don't understand why it wont shift into second i have turned the set screw counter clockwise a few turns and it's almost flush with that ring that it's into. Also is it bad for the engine if the trans doesn't shift??

ok i will check the clutch but i don't understand why it wont shift into second i have turned the set screw counter clockwise a few turns and it's almost flush with that ring that it's into. Also is it bad for the engine if the trans doesn't shift??

Your shift point is set way off. Are you runnin the 2-speed or 3-speed? Your best bet is to turn the screw all the way that back it out about 1 full turn. maybe 1 1/2 turns. That would be a good starting point. Then run your truck and make sure it's tuned right or perfect. You can tell the diference whether or not it's still in first or in second. If it's not shifting then back the screw out 1/8 of a turn. If it still isn't shifting, keep going at 1/8 turn increments (just like tuning a motor) until it shifts. Then adjust if you want it to shift a little earlier or however you feel is the right shift point for you. That's what I did when I was adjusting mine, but I also have the three speed. As far as the tranny not shifting being bad for the motor, I can't help you on that one.

Your shift point is set way off. Are you runnin the 2-speed or 3-speed? Your best bet is to turn the screw all the way that back it out about 1 full turn. maybe 1 1/2 turns. That would be a good starting point. Then run your truck and make sure it's tuned right or perfect. You can tell the diference whether or not it's still in first or in second. If it's not shifting then back the screw out 1/8 of a turn. If it still isn't shifting, keep going at 1/8 turn increments (just like tuning a motor) until it shifts. Then adjust if you want it to shift a little earlier or however you feel is the right shift point for you. That's what I did when I was adjusting mine, but I also have the three speed. As far as the tranny not shifting being bad for the motor, I can't help you on that one.

Ok thanks xtremsavage Ill give that an try once i figure out why my savage wont roll back and then give that another go

xtremsavage I'm running an 2 speed out of an savage X and i figured out why it roll backards the shift screw was out too much so i put it back in and back out 1.5 turns so i just have to put the tranny back together now but what if it doens't shift at all when i test it ?

xtremsavage I'm running an 2 speed out of an savage X and i figured out why it roll backards the shift screw was out too much so i put it back in and back out 1.5 turns so i just have to put the tranny back together now but what if it doens't shift at all when i test it ?

So the screw was catching the gear and keeping it engaged? Well, glad we helped you get that part figured out. Did you screw it all the way in until it stops then backed it out 1.5 turns? If that's what you did and it still doesn't shift, then keep backing out the screw until 1/8 at a time until you can hear it shift. You can tell when your getting close cuz when it's about to shift cuz you can hear the engine rpms start acting a little crazy. Or at least that's what mine did when I working on getting mine adjusted. Hope this helps and if you need more help just say so.

So the screw was catching the gear and keeping it engaged? Well, glad we helped you get that part figured out. Did you screw it all the way in until it stops then backed it out 1.5 turns? If that's what you did and it still doesn't shift, then keep backing out the screw until 1/8 at a time until you can hear it shift. You can tell when your getting close cuz when it's about to shift cuz you can hear the engine rpms start acting a little crazy. Or at least that's what mine did when I working on getting mine adjusted. Hope this helps and if you need more help just say so.
Yes i put the grab screw 1.5 out and i will test it wonce i put the truck back together i striped and servo saver too so i have to fix that

Yes i put the grab screw 1.5 out and i will test it wonce i put the truck back together i striped and servo saver too so i have to fix that

That sux about the servo saver. Well, once you get it back up and runnin, keep me posted and I'll see if I can't help you out anymore.

thanks man. Would the little spring thats under the shift point screw be the problem??

It could be but all depends. How old is the truck, well, the tranny in it? If it's still pretty new, that shouldn't be the problem. It's goin on about a year maybe a little more since I installed my three speed and the clutches still work fine. Just keep me posted.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back