Savage Truck Diff shimming 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Chris you where the only one that made sence to me .
What can I say ?
Flat out racing , ye !
Golf

Alloy diff cups and shimming the diffs are 2 different things .. We shim the diffs to eliminate slop between the ring and pinion gears.. The stock savage bearings are A HUGE cause to why the diffs need shimmed.. There not a quality bearing...

Try asking a question next time and showing a little respect. The people on here are awesome. I can say from personal experience that they will bend over backwards for all the members. If you did not intend to come off like a jerk, then say so. I do beleive you owe someone an apology.

Shimming

Alloy diff cups and shimming the diffs are 2 different things .. We shim the diffs to eliminate slop between the ring and pinion gears.. The stock savage bearings are A HUGE cause to why the diffs need shimmed.. There not a quality bearing...

Hi Jester, I'm in the midst of getting my cups from Nova and still trying to figer out how to shim. I've read all the posts and still cant picture it. I feel like a idiot. Do you have pictures on how to do it? Cheers!:cheers:

piper the first post has pics

HI Crash. I was looking at that. I didn't see the shims. Now are they small looking Orings? where do we put them. In the picture all I saw is the cup and oil being added with the spider gears. I might just be blind. Looking left to right from the first post what picture is it? Cheers!!

Is there a rule when you should shim the diff? I'm building a new sav x as we speak and I read somewhere on here you should not shim them until after 1 gallon...is this true? or should i shim them as i build?

yeah I don't know what post it was but i was reading a bunch last week and I read somewhere on here that you should wait to shim until after a gallon. thanks for the insight I will shim them asap. do i need different sizes of shims or are they all the same size?

great thread!.. I have the 4.6 alloy diffs that are "pre shimmed" by hpi... should I re-shim them?

ahh good info! Thanks Jeremy. I guess this will be getting done with the rest of build might as well while everything is apart still :duh:

I know again someone with hard head(more brain but ok):whipit:

I inspect my diffs and found some slope so i want to shim them,found a lot of ways to do it.But in many howtos they shim that shim is touching both races of ball bearing which i dislike.

So i am asking is this is rite to do.Puting 13x16x0.2 shims on the outside of ball bearing(betwen bb an bulkhead)i marked on pic with red where shim go?
And another question is it normal that outdrive cups on diff having mm or so, in and out movement,marked with black on pic?

This thread needs some updated info. In my search to figure out how to shim my diffs i found this.

How to prepare a HPI Savage for Extreme bashing 6…:

Just call me the necco cause i n ring this thread back to life!!!!! Muuuwaajhhaaaa... Ok I'm off to bed now.

Well I am sure you can and will find many many old dusty threads on the forum. most are left here because they do contain good information, you may have to read thru them and weed out what does not apply at times but thats what there is in old libraries, if you have any info you would like to add to any of the old dusty threads please feel free to do so.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back