Savage SS with Mach 28 engine have issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
I recent bought a second have savage ss model Not 4.6 for my dad, it came with a Mach 28 engine had heaps of compression. I ran a tank or two through it on idle to be sure incase it wasn’t broken in. I changed the gearing to a 47 tooth spur with 17 tooth bell same as my SS 4.6. I am experiencing a problem I cant work out. When I have the car on the stand and lean up the mixture to what I think is correct setting. the car has perfect acceleration instant power on full throttle. when I put it on the ground and full throttle it coughs and spatters and wont move then stalls. Soon as there is load on the engine it will not go. When I richen up the mixture to extremely rich it runs with slower acceleration but seems to starve or flood for fuel at top end second gear. You can hear it hesitating at top end.

Anyone had problems like this.

First of all, What is the make and model of the .28 your speaking of ? Also, check out "nitroreview.com" for some tips and posible clues about the this engines track record history, if available. When your at the home page, click Database, then click engines, then scroll to your engine size and see if your engine is presant in the group of motors listed, then click on your motor. You sould now be able to enlarge the pop-up window and read any and all coments posted from others who have the same engine as yourself. Although this site is'nt in a forum style, you can post your opinions on how you feel about your motor so others can hear your views. -DOOBEEWHA

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah.... last ,but not least, If you haven't already done this, Check out the HPI nitro tuning videos, part I & II. This is a great shot in the arm for teaching rookies, reminding veterans, and re-teaching pros on the fundamentals of setting up your power plant. -DOOBEEWHA

I hope Silverback informs us on his progress in overcoming his problem. Not to change the subject but, does anyone know how to change the little comment under our user names? I got the "DAAA..Whats a glowplug?" remark under mine and I don't recall putting it there. PLease don't get me wrong. I'm sure that there are those who want to know what a glow plug is. I'ts just does'nt happen to be me any longer. I'm a newbie to this site and still intend to make a more formal introduction greeting from myself to all of you Savage lov'in Nitro junkies like myself, but I got into some of these forums without doing any orientation to this sites features and proceedures. So,..Hey to all....wazzz uppp! As you'al can see, I've taken the handle as "Doobeewha" yet I don't ware a robe, carry a light sabre, or speak in reverse... At least most of the time. The only FORCE I use is a JR xs3 Pro Tx. I'm based in North Cal. and have numerous rides. My SS 4.6 has lead me to this site which I think is very cool due to the fact that there's a place here for all levels of questions that arize with the Savage Owner/Lover. Thank you to all of those that make this forum site happen and those who wecome my membership.

Hey,look What The Cat Dragged In!

:jamout: Hellow to all members and guest here at HPISF........ My handle is DOOBEEWHA. I would like to introduce myself before I respond to anymore forum replies. I kind of "Put the horse before the cart" in regards to diving into this site and having already sent a number of replies out there and yet, I still have'nt shared some info about me. So, to start, I've been running my new Savage SS 4.6 w/3 speed and reverse for about 2 gals. now and have made some mods already to the suspension, transmission, and drivetrain. I've been getting pretty good with body painting and detailing. I also have a Losi LST 2 and a Team Associated MGT waiting in the wings. It's a cool but long story how this came to be so, to keep it short, I just want to again say "Hellow" to all members and guests on this forum and want to thank all of those who have made this forum posible. I also want thank those who choose to wecome me as I invite any and all to feel free in sending me replies to whatever questions or subjects you want to discuss

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back