Savage SS race truck.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Defiantspaz

I had my Savage 4.6 SS and decided to try my hand at making a race worthy Savage. The two biggest drawbacks to the savage are weight and high CG.

I got Integy MSR7 Hellfire shocks to lower the stance of the Savage. The truck handles very well and is really stable, I haven't flipped it over since the Hellfire shocks have been installed. Online the MSR7's look small, like a TMAXX shock, but when I saw them in person they are huge. They have a really big diameter and beefy shafts.

Picture014.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture012.jpg

Picture017.jpg

I have the HPI HE drive CV's to install and I plan on working out some form of a mid tank setup. I also converted over to Savage X bulkheads for easier diff changes if needed. I have basically tried to keep the truck as light as possible so there is a minimum amount of aluminium parts installed.

I started out with a K4.6 in the truck but I chose to upgrade to an RB modded STS D30M and STS 0702 exhaust setup. I really like the STS but the carb is a PITA. The o-rings suck really bad and the needles just walk were ever they want making tuning impossible. I had a spare HPI K4.6 HO 9mm carb so I installed it and the moving needles are a thing of the past.

Picture015.jpg

I installed a rear wing for looks mostly. My mods are very simple and surprisingly the Savage 4.6 SS was pretty easy to get to go fast around the local track, with just these two simple changes the truck keeps up with race REVO's and TMAXX's. I don't win because I still need to work on the handleing setup and weight reduction, but i am very competitive for basically what is a stock Savage SS with Savage X bulkheads

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

I used my Hellfires Aggressor tires on the dished rims because they have less sidewall flex than the Dirtbones and are lighter as well. I plan on getting HPI Nubs on dished rims in the future.

If you guys know of any way to lose some weight with out weakening the truck let me know.

Looks nice bud...I like how low it sits, at least as far as I'm sure it doesn't flip like it normally would. Do you have any trouble with it bottoming out alot or does it do pretty well?

It seems to handle the jumps at the track very well. It may bottom out but if it is it doesn't lose any speed or control when it lands. Coming out os the corners is just pure joy, full throttle and roosting!

I am toying with the idea of switching to a Hellfire suspension setup to make the truck wider and stear better, what do you think?

I am talking about doing both front and rear suspension arm, CVD's and hub setups from a Hellfire. I might even lose some weight in the process.

Nice truck! I too am wondering about the bottoming out thing. I have thought about lowering mine but wasnt sure if it would bottom out real bad off big jumps.

I don't know how much it would help with the weight, but a set of Low Center of Gravity Carbon Fibre TVP's would help with the Handling. And you'll be surprised how much the Mid-tank helps in that regaurd as well.

I am try'n to come up with a better way to do the mid tank. I guess there's only so many ways to make a mouse trap, BUT I will come up with a new spin on it.

The ground clearance is low but the shocks have a real good damping effect off jumps. the truck does squat down on the landings but it never seems to dig into the track so I would say the low stance isn't hurting me. The track I race at doesn't have any huge triples only moderate doubles so maybe on a bigger track the truck would have issues.

Mostly in my area we do MT-cross. It is like autocross for cars but in the dirt and the tracks are really technical. Fast straights, tight turns and time penalties for going off or knocking over cones. It is alot of fun and you rarely break anything doing this low impact high speed racing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back