Savage ss 4.6 loose flywheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car has had approx 3 runs, long sessions hi speed oval work. Just recently the pilot bolt must of loosened off and the flywheel started slipping. It ground away the flywheel and now the pilot bolt does up all the way and the flywheel is loose. I will need to buy a new flywheel and pilot bolt
Does anyone know if this happens alot. When I did the pilot bolt up the first time I did it as tight as i could and applied lock tight. What is the best method for tightening this bolt.

what I did...

I have a savage X with the 4.1 engine, and its construction is something like.. engine, then flywheel, pilot bolt, then clutch, then washer, then bearing, then clutch bell, then another bearing, then a brass thick washer, then smaller washer, then a retaining bolt.

My problem was that there seemed to be alot of play in the clutch bell, it was slipping fore and aft about 1.5 - 2.5 mm on the crank, enough so that you could see the clutch shoes in the gap ! What happened upon inspection was the thick brass spacer washer had overheated and worn itself down (part no: HPI 86121) to almost half its original size. worn itself so perfectly that it looked like it was machined that size and no obvious wear marks.

I have since run in the engine and replaced said part and added a steel washer between brass one and bearing. When trying to understand why this happened, I did hear it mentioned by other savvy owners this wasnt altogether uncommon, but certainly not commonplace.

Hope some of this helps. I don't know why the pilot bolt would wear so quickly unless it was loose or was lubricated and able to slip.

Adam

I know the brass washer problem.
I now have a full bag in stock.
HPI doesn`t sell them in 4 or 5 piece bags for nothing.
mine was worn and caused the screw to tighten gradually and eventually it locked my clutch bell to the axle.

I replaced the brass washer with the same bearing that is in the clutch bell it has fixed the problem so far and I have run 3 gallons thru it just a thought

Flywheel slips

I think you guys are on the wrong track. The pilot bolt is done up tight and the brass collet does not seem to bite into the flywheel enough to lock the flywheel in. Could my engine be faulty. I have bought a new flywheel and collet and pilot bolt but it doesnt seem to lock in tight enough. The pilot bolt will wind on all the way and not squeeze the flywhell against the collet enought to lock in tight. What should I do.

Sometimes you may have to shim the flywheel forward a bit I had to on my last HPI engine the 4.6 to get it to fit properly.

silverback2002 said:
Thanks did you put a washer between the bearing in the engine and the collet?

Exactly try that and see what happens it should push the flywheel forward enough to make it work. I have had to to that and shave the top of the collet off before so i could get the bigger part of the collet in the flywheel. Try the shims first and see what happens.

Latest posts

Members online

Back